Comparison MX5400 Shuttle vs hst

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #1  

dbeverly68

Tractor
Kubota
I’m pulling the trigger tomorrow on an MX5400. I still haven’t made up my mind on a shuttle or hst. The tractor will be doing mostly loader work with a bucket and grapple. I will also be mowing pasture. Mowing will be flat to tank damns and some hills. I guess I’m worried about longevity of either. Which may be better? I also worry about pushing brush and doing dirt work with the hst. I’ve always had a shuttle and never owned a hst. Advise would be appreciated!! Thanks!

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #2  
I was worried about gear, shuttle, HST when I bought my MX5400. I went with the HST and glad I did. I also have a Ford 640 and just using the grader blade the gear shifting is noticeably annoying after using the HST. I have owned the Ford 640 for a long time so it should have not been a issue, but the HST is great for loader work. I also bush hog with mine and it is more than fine using the HST. As far as pushing brush and doing dirt work the HST is more than capable. You will run out of traction before you run out of power. I can spin all 4 tires when stalled using the box blade.

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #4  
I'm a noob with only 20+ hours on a new MX5400 HST. Love it. Since I have no basis for comparison, the only time I wonder about anything is when I'm going up steep hills and hear the engine working harder, and am also, seemingly, constrained to low "speed" and the gearing within it. But maybe any other tractor would be the same. For every other thing, I really like the noob friendliness of the HST, and all the back and forth things I need to do (whether it's with the loader, or doing 3 point turns in tight spaces in the forest).

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #5  
I知 pulling the trigger tomorrow on an MX5400. I still haven稚 made up my mind on a shuttle or hst. The tractor will be doing mostly loader work with a bucket and grapple. I will also be mowing pasture. Mowing will be flat to tank damns and some hills. I guess I知 worried about longevity of either. Which may be better? I also worry about pushing brush and doing dirt work with the hst. I致e always had a shuttle and never owned a hst. Advise would be appreciated!! Thanks!

My tasks are similar, if on hills. Loader work, grapple work, field brush hogging. I haven't had any issues with using my grapple to do root raking or push brush along as I scoop up a lot of cut stuff. But again, nothing to compare it to. If the loader/grapple are applying force, you'll definitely hear the tractor working harder, in fact it's something of a clue to me about how much I'm engaged with the ground.

If you buy an HST and find it sub-par compared to a shuttle, I'd really like to know that.

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #6  
I have an MX 5100 shuttle. I love the gear drive. Makes so much more sense to me. I use my tractor for fel dirt work, grading, grapple, box blading, a landscape rake, and mowing with a bush hog. Had a smaller Kubota with hst, hated it so much I got rid of it. I like to putz around in 1 gear, high range for most fel work. Set the hand throttle to about 1500 rpms and use the foot throttle for the power when I need it. I can't stand running an hst at almost 3,000 rpms for nothing. Go for the more power in the geared.

20200516_155116_resized.jpg

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #7  
I知 pulling the trigger tomorrow on an MX5400. I still haven稚 made up my mind on a shuttle or hst. The tractor will be doing mostly loader work with a bucket and grapple. I will also be mowing pasture. Mowing will be flat to tank damns and some hills. I guess I知 worried about longevity of either. Which may be better? I also worry about pushing brush and doing dirt work with the hst. I致e always had a shuttle and never owned a hst. Advise would be appreciated!! Thanks!

HST transmissions are wonderfully convenient but rather inefficient and more expensive than gear drive transmissions.

I own three tractors with HST transmissions mostly because they are convenient, i.e., time saving for the tasks for which I use them. I own/have owned multiple other tractors with various types of gear transmissions.

Based upon the very limited information provided concerning your usage, my belief is that you would probably be better served with a HST rather than a hydraulic shuttle.

SDT

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #8  
I have an MX 5100 shuttle. I love the gear drive. Makes so much more sense to me. I use my tractor for fel dirt work, grading, grapple, box blading, a landscape rake, and mowing with a bush hog. Had a smaller Kubota with hst, hated it so much I got rid of it. I like to putz around in 1 gear, high range for most fel work. Set the hand throttle to about 1500 rpms and use the foot throttle for the power when I need it. I can't stand running an hst at almost 3,000 rpms for nothing. Go for the more power in the geared.

View attachment 657708

When my 5400hst is struggling going up hills, I find additional rpms don't seem to make much difference. I mostly settle at 1500 when I'm moving around with or without loads, and 2500 rpms for the PTO stuff.

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #9  
I just bougth a MX 5400 myself. I have a NH now with foot pedals for the hydro not a rocker. I would hate the rocker, I went with the gear shift instead.

/ MX5400 Shuttle vs hst #10  
Should not run a new DPF tractor at 1500 rpm, better run it up there around 2000 rpm or so. I find that 2000 rpm is good for putting around on my MX5200. 2250rpm is good for most work and PTO speed is good for bush hogging or maxing out the loaders hydraulic pressure moving big stuff like rocks and pallets of wood.