My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #331  
I was in I.T. for about 30 years. I trust my binder in my basement more than a service on the internet. Just saying... ;)
Internet services just add another layer of complexity to the authentication process.

Some people I know are challenged just to logon and then login to another account. Heck some cannot even find the power button.

Most all I know can read and make a phone call. LOL.

/ My Brothers Estate #332  
Yes, you are correct. LastPass has been hacked. That is why all my access also requires a Yubico Key to open Last Pass. But there are also other password managers. I am not sure what has not been hacked. I guess a folder in the safe.

/ My Brothers Estate #333  
Yes, you are correct. LastPass has been hacked. That is why all my access also requires a Yubico Key to open Last Pass. But there are also other password managers. I am not sure what has not been hacked. I guess a folder in the safe.
And a folder in the safe deposit box in case the house burns or the safe gets stolen. And one in a mayo jar under "the tree" just in case. And maybe a copy at grandma's house....

remember when life was simpler? 🙃

/ My Brothers Estate
Mayo Jar makes me think of what a friend is doing. He's putting cash and important documents into PVC pipe, and gluing caps on the ends, then burying them. I can't think of a better way to bury something and never having to worry about it leaking.

/ My Brothers Estate #335  
That would probably make a pretty good time capsule.

Seems like every time someone digs up a time capsule around here when a building gets renovated, or X years have passed, etc., it's a metal box and most of the papers inside of it are water damaged.

/ My Brothers Estate #336  
Seems like every time someone digs up a time capsule around here when a building gets renovated, or X years have passed, etc., it's a metal box and most of the papers inside of it are water damaged.
Oh man that reminded me of the endless wrap-up of Dad's estate. His last couple of years, he had a caregiver living in the ranch granny cabin. Years later I backhoed out a dead cherry tree next to the cabin, and uncovered a soggy stash of a small photo album and documents, including a letter: 'Honey I'm sorry I haven't written you for several years and have forgotten when your birthday is but I decided I want to get back together after I finally get paroled. It will only be a few more years'.

She had never talked about her personal life and I had no idea what to do with the stuff. I finally put it in an Express Mail envelope with no addresses, and that into a mall mailbox. Presumably the dead letter branch of the PO could address it to her present address based on the contents. Either keeping it or destroying it just seemed too weird.

Life can be stranger than fiction!

Last edited:
   / My Brothers Estate #337  
Oh man that reminded me of the endless wrap-up of Dad's estate. His last couple of years, he had a caregiver living in the ranch granny cabin. Years later I backhoed out a dead cherry tree next to the cabin, and uncovered a soggy stash of a small photo album and documents, including a letter: 'Honey I'm sorry I haven't written you for several years and have forgotten when your birthday is but I decided I want to get back together after I finally get paroled. It will only be a few more years'.

She had never talked about her personal life and I had no idea what to do with the stuff. I finally put it in an Express Mail envelope with no addresses, and that into a mall mailbox. Presumably the dead letter branch of the PO could address it to her based on the contents. Either keeping it or destroying it just seemed too weird.

Life can be stranger than fiction!
Wow! ;)

My father went to work for an architectural firm when I was in high school. They had him design an addition to their offices. They bought a dilapidated but once grand old house next door and demolished it. Then on the first day they started digging the foundation, they pulled out a large tree and a bunch of canning jars full of old coins fell out onto the ground. Completely buried. No one could have possibly known they were still there. And completely useless to the original owner or any heirs. They collected it all and had it appraised. There were 10's of thousands of dollars in collector value. More than the gold and silver was worth in scrap. I don't know what became of it. I do know my father didn't get any of it. 🤣

/ My Brothers Estate #338  
Mayo Jar makes me think of what a friend is doing. He's putting cash and important documents into PVC pipe, and gluing caps on the ends, then burying them. I can't think of a better way to bury something and never having to worry about it leaking.
Problem is most countries change their notes and coins every now and again and put a time limit on when you can exchange the old for the new. After that the old are worthless.

/ My Brothers Estate #339  
Hopefully your friend has something metal in the PVC pipe to find it with a metal detector.

/ My Brothers Estate #340  
This is the only gold bouillon I own.

96281A7A-320E-4BD9-B9DD-C7F96C0B010E.jpeg