My choices in red

/ My choices in red #1  

blacktruck

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub cadet 2450, JD 420, Ford LGT18H
I am wanting to buy a new tractor. I've done my share of lurking/research on all of the brands I could find. My choices have came down to either an RK24 or a MF1725MB. I cannot say that I read of any what I would call real issues with either other than a freak occurrence here or there. I cannot say that I am particularly leaning either way as yet. There is a MF dealer about 5 miles from home. RK is about 75 miles. What is the word from those who own those brands? Any non-published issues? Idiosyncrasies that nobody talks about? Just the good or bad with either brand if you know of something.

/ My choices in red #2  
I can't speak for the Massy but for the RK24 that I have. Couldn't be happier with the RK24 (150+ hrs.).
My dealer is only about 10 miles away and what little I have needed done (50 hr. checkup) was done quickly and well.
If you go to the Rural King forum, toward the end of this site, you will see both pros and cons about RK tractors. The only thing I needed to fix was the front drive shaft cover came loose so I wired it so it couldn't come loose anymore. I don't mow with mine but I do use a 5 ft. grader blade and 4 ft. box blade plus some firewood logging and it has done everything I asked it. I'll try to put a couple pictures up. I've added a few things like a bigger toolbox and grapple.
Good luck and post pictures.
20180802_192817.jpg

/ My choices in red #3  
Own neither, tractors will need parts and maintenance. MF dealer probably been around for years, has respectable parts inventory, trained mechanics and cheaper pu/delivery rates if you can't haul tractor yourself. Use RK for spare parts (hoses, hydraulic connectors, tractor accessories and bling) implements may be cheaper than dealer - your call here.

/ My choices in red #4  
To help your research:
MF compacts are Iseke
RK are TYM

A while back, RK imported some tractors, dropped the idea, then picked it up with another maker/brand years later.
That is a risk with any retailer, they are in business to sell 'things'. They are not in business to service things.
A dealer is more likely to stick to something longer.

I am not knocking RK, I drive by mine 2x a day (usually only go in 1x/week) - but if you are wanting/needing support, repairs, options - they are not the best choice.
[not their fault, it's not their business model]

Also, go visit the service dept of all your local and not-so-local tractor dealers.
If they treat you and the other people in there decently, then buy their machine.
You are not going to find a ton of difference between one compact and another since there are only like 5 OEM's out there and they all copy each other.
(sort of like telling the difference between small SUV's. There may be some subtle differences, but none of them are going to win the Indy 500)

AGCO has several flavors, I don't recall if all of their labels are carrying compacts.
I have had nothing but stellar service from AGCO & Deere, I started with Deere because they were cheaper [yes] than the other choices back in the 90's for a 4100 sized machine. I was only visiting places that serviced their machines right there, and if it was a single guy working out of a former gas station, I passed him up.
Nothing against those guys personally, but a one man shop has limitations that a larger operation doesn't. (like if your machine needs something and the guy is on vacation - or died - or lost the shop in some other manner).

The dealers I use are both 3+ generation shops. I expect them to know tons more than I do, and they do. I have not had any serious issues with the machines [6 over the years], but the minor things they can talk me through a diag over the phone & have always had what I needed [information and/or parts] right there.

Good luck with your journey & keep us posted!

/ My choices in red #5  
There is a MF dealer about 5 miles from home. RK is about 75 miles. What is the word from those who own those brands?

To deliver the tractor for repair, then to pick it up, requires two round trips, or total travel of either twenty miles or 300 miles. Even my competent local Kubota dealer occasionally requires a second shot at anomalies that I describe as 'intermittent'.

Unless you feel qualified to perform your own service competently, a full service dealer five miles from your land will be infinitely better than dealer seventy-five miles from your land, who will have to ship your machine to a impersonal regional repair facility if anything moderately serious goes wrong.

At age 73 I'll struggle with what seems like simple repairs for two hours before I call in the Kubota mechanic. He generally gets to me within two days and fixes what I have not been able to fix in twenty minutes.

Last edited:
   / My choices in red #6  
Since you're into red already, don't rule out Branson. There are lots of dealers in Texas and very happy owners using the forum.

Branson is made by Kukje, its parent company. Engines are build under Cummins license and it's a very robust and solid tractor overall. Very simple tractor, with little to no electronics, yet still retain the nice features of today's tractors.

All cast iron and sheet metal construction. No plastic hood or fenders. No aluminium housings.

/ My choices in red #7  
I am wanting to buy a new tractor. I've done my share of lurking/research on all of the brands I could find. My choices have came down to either an RK24 or a MF1725MB. I cannot say that I read of any what I would call real issues with either other than a freak occurrence here or there. I cannot say that I am particularly leaning either way as yet. There is a MF dealer about 5 miles from home. RK is about 75 miles. What is the word from those who own those brands? Any non-published issues? Idiosyncrasies that nobody talks about? Just the good or bad with either brand if you know of something.

If you are still located in the city your profile shows the nearest MF dealer is located 63 miles from you, and the nearest RK dealer is located hundreds of miles away in KY.....

/ My choices in red
If you are still located in the city your profile shows the nearest MF dealer is located 63 miles from you, and the nearest RK dealer is located hundreds of miles away in KY.....

The city shown is my work location. As much as it is embarrassing to admit, I live in Illinois. Love the state, hate the politics going on. I shopped at local RK stores for many years before I moved away as a much younger man. In my current home the closest RK dealer is Mattoon Illinois. It's about an hour and half away. If I really lived in Texas, I would not even consider the brand. I'm teleworking now for a few weeks so doing some searching and deciding what I want to buy from my home.

/ My choices in red
Since you're into red already, don't rule out Branson. There are lots of dealers in Texas and very happy owners using the forum.

Branson is made by Kukje, its parent company. Engines are build under Cummins license and it's a very robust and solid tractor overall. Very simple tractor, with little to no electronics, yet still retain the nice features of today's tractors.

All cast iron and sheet metal construction. No plastic hood or fenders. No aluminium housings.

I will look at those. I cannot honestly say I have ever ran across a Branson dealer in the areas I frequent but that isn't a deal breaker.

/ My choices in red #10  
The new MF Subcompacts are so much better in many ways other than the BH. The BH is a little lighter than my GC2410 but that hasnt been an issue, users have been complaining about the joysticks breaking-hopefully they fixed that by now. MF has been great for me, mine is 10 years old now and so fa the only thing I had to repair was the front axle pivot seals which i did myself.

Cant speak for the RK but having a dealer near you will save a lot of hassle when you need parts, or service or accessories. I am thinking about trading my GC2410 for the MF1725MB because the ergonomics and SSQA option are better. I dont have SSQA on mine.