My dog's not doing well

/ My dog's not doing well #101  
Over the years we've had pets euthanized at the vets. They wait until they close, customers leave. They give us a pawprint. It truly is tough going through.

/ My dog's not doing well #102  
yeah I agree with scootr his situation started a over month ago keeping him going is torture at this point. I feel your pain but end his misery.
I'm no expert and I'm not judging.
It's a decision every owner has to make. Each situation is different so it's not right to say yeah a month of ill health is too much. I've done that and later felt I cut the dog short. I've watched my wife let her dog go too long and felt pained watching what I saw as suffering. Dogs handle adversity differently than humans. At no point do they think, believe, or wish themselves better off dead. So if it is just another morning laying in the sun or listening to his people bussel around the kitchen or waiting for them to come home then that is what they will enjoy. The dog is God's gift to man.

/ My dog's not doing well
It's a decision every owner has to make. Each situation is different so it's not right to say yeah a month of ill health is too much. I've done that and later felt I cut the dog short. I've watched my wife let her dog go too long and felt pained watching what I saw as suffering. Dogs handle adversity differently than humans. At no point do they think, believe, or wish themselves better off dead. So if it is just another morning laying in the sun or listening to his people bussel around the kitchen or waiting for them to come home then that is what they will enjoy. The dog is God's gift to man.

Scootr,
I think you said it perfectly. He doesn't appear to be in pain, no whimpering or wincing. He just doesn't know what to do with himself and he seems really tired with no appetite. He'll follow me from room to room and lay down somewhere comfortable where he can watch us. Sometimes he'll find a sunbeam streaming in a door or window and lay there. I guess as long as he does that and doesn't show signs of pain or suffering, I'll let him have whatever days he has left and treat each one as a gift. We'll just keep trying to make him feel comfortable and loved.

/ My dog's not doing well #104  
Scootr,
I think you said it perfectly. He doesn't appear to be in pain, no whimpering or wincing. He just doesn't know what to do with himself and he seems really tired with no appetite. He'll follow me from room to room and lay down somewhere comfortable where he can watch us. Sometimes he'll find a sunbeam streaming in a door or window and lay there. I guess as long as he does that and doesn't show signs of pain or suffering, I'll let him have whatever days he has left and treat each one as a gift. We'll just keep trying to make him feel comfortable and loved.
Id be getting him to another vet instead of letting this go status quo. You don't know what you don't know, But maybe someone else will.. And maybe just maybe help your boy.

/ My dog's not doing well #105  
I didn't want to put words in your mouth, I want to say I agree with you about ''its the most difficult thing as a pet owner to know when its time to let go'', after it was my opinion. Sorry I could've said that better. ... I've seen this thread progress and I feel for the dog misery, it's a hard read, that is all. I don't want to see a dog suffer because the owner is not ready to say good bye (not saying its the case but it's a valid question, I my doing this for the dog well being or because I am not ready to let go)... I start having a hard time looking at a dog as soon as a dog can't do dog stuff because I can tell that what they love. I can't talk to dogs so I wouldn't know whether or not they want to live or die but I can tell what they love and hate.

Maybe god gift to man but their life and well being still need to be respected as a life created by god. (saying this in general, obsoletely not saying OP is not taking care of his dog, we can all see his dog means the word to him)

One thing to note, dogs pain index is off the chart, its crazy what they can endure, they pretty much don't feel pain compared to us.

Last edited:
   / My dog's not doing well #106  
Id be getting him to another vet instead of letting this go status quo. You don't know what you don't know, But maybe someone else will.. And maybe just maybe help your boy.
This is my thought also, but my decisions are different than somebody elses.

/ My dog's not doing well #107  
yeah I agree with scootr his situation started a over month ago keeping him going is torture at this point. I feel your pain but end his misery.
Every pet owner has to make their own decision on this. Not our business to tell him what to do. You might be right, but still....

19 years ago, I took my dog to the emergency clinic on a stormy raining Friday night, about 60 miles away after getting home from 60 miles away. Turns out my dog had cancer bad. There had been signs, but the local vet did not have an xray machine. Anyway, the emergency vet gave him some strong pain killers, and gave me enough to get him over the weekend. I was going to put him down on Monday, but he started having problems and passed away about 1/2 way back home. I stopped and cried while I held him and told him how good of a dog he was. The vet said the meds would get him out of pain. I hope he was right. Maybe the strength of the pill pushed him over the edge. My contractor had his backhoe on my property as he was digging for my foundation. He came over and dug a hole for me. I used my FEL as a hearse. I gave him a good tip, and used my tractor to scoop up all the sand that had eroded from my slab during the hard rains, saving him an hour of time and more material. The whole family was attached to him and attended while we gently lowered him in the hole, overlooking our beautiful lake. It was the only time I ever saw my FIL shed a tear.

/ My dog's not doing well #108  
Every pet owner has to make their own decision on this. Not our business to tell him what to do. You might be right, but still....

19 years ago, I took my dog to the emergency clinic on a stormy raining Friday night, about 60 miles away after getting home from 60 miles away. Turns out my dog had cancer bad. There had been signs, but the local vet did not have an xray machine. Anyway, the emergency vet gave him some strong pain killers, and gave me enough to get him over the weekend. I was going to put him down on Monday, but he started having problems and passed away about 1/2 way back home. I stopped and cried while I held him and told him how good of a dog he was. The vet said the meds would get him out of pain. I hope he was right. Maybe the strength of the pill pushed him over the edge. My contractor had his backhoe on my property as he was digging for my foundation. He came over and dug a hole for me. I used my FEL as a hearse. I gave him a good tip, and used my tractor to scoop up all the sand that had eroded from my slab during the hard rains, saving him an hour of time and more material. The whole family was attached to him and attended while we gently lowered him in the hole, overlooking our beautiful lake. It was the only time I ever saw my FIL shed a tear.
it’s always hard to loose a dog … touching story thanks for sharing i share your pain.

A post is posted on a public forum to get opinions but then you criticize when an unpopular/honest opinion get said?

but you have a point, I agree I should’ve wrote “i would” instead of a “you should” that my bad, I am usually more careful in that regard, it wasn’t done intentionally or without feelings.

Last edited:
   / My dog's not doing well #109  
Those that we love, don't go away. They walk beside us everyday.
Unseen and unheard, but always near and forever loved.

Rule of thumb for me, is if the dog is in pain. If not in pain, I owe it to the dog to still take care of their needs, even if its the inconvenience of dimentia, or incontinence. Dogs get dimentia also. Best wishes for your Pup.