My dog's not doing well

/ My dog's not doing well #171  
^^^^^^
Mine did not wear a collar for the very reason you described. He also was always within sight most of the time.

A friend had two labs and his family was watching them play when one got it's tooth caught in the other's collar... I'm not sure how. By the time he got a knife and cut it his dog was clinically dead. His wife is a doctor and got his heart beating again, and they are friends with the vet so rushed him there.

When he told me about it he joked that he wasn't about to give it mouth to mouth. We laughed, but there is a way to do it. Cut the bottom off a soda bottle and slide it over his muzzle. I've never had to do it, but supposedly it will work.

/ My dog's not doing well #172  
I know two different folks who's puppy got hung and die in their cage from their collar. Two things happen there in both cases the cage was too big for their puppy and they both had a collar...

/ My dog's not doing well #173  
Jstpssng reminds me of a suggestion for those of us who live very remote and way out in the country. My second dog - a lab - had a nice dog collar. One day we were out and about and - by golly - he was nowhere to be seen. I called, called, called until my lungs almost fell out. Finally - I heard him. He was whimpering and howling.

He had become tangled up in old barbed wire. It was wrapped thru his collar and he could not get out. Boy - were we ever GLAD to see each other. His fate would have been told as evening was approaching. The coyotes would have had him for their late dinner.

SO ....... NO MORE collars on any of my dogs. If you are concerned about - lost pet ID - have your vet inject a tracking chip into your dog.

Yes - I suppose a dog could be caught up in wire - even without a collar. But believe me - this is much less likely to happen.
I have bird dogs, and you never keep a tight collar on a retriever because they can get hung up on brush or snags. Their collars easily slip off over their heads. We have lost the occasional collar, but it has been about 3 years since I have had to replace one.

/ My dog's not doing well #174  
Meanwhile I have trouble with Jethro biting Beyla's collar into bits. Need a collars while I still have campers here to avoid problems. Giant dogs scare people, and mine don't do "new" well. All can slip their collars easily after they learn not to do that while on lead.

/ My dog's not doing well #176  
When he told me about it he joked that he wasn't about to give it mouth to mouth. We laughed, but there is a way to do it. Cut the bottom off a soda bottle and slide it over his muzzle. I've never had to do it, but supposedly it will work.
Never heard of that but it could work. If you have a soda bottle handy.

/ My dog's not doing well #177  
I prefer to use a GPS collar. They can disappear in a heartbeat, and it's very nice to know right where they are.

/ My dog's not doing well #178  
I prefer to use a GPS collar. They can disappear in a heartbeat, and it's very nice to know right where they are.
That wasn't a problem with my last dog. Generally I would turn around and he'd be right there. My first one though... she was way too at home in the woods. I'm lucky she didn't get me in trouble.