My Father's MF 135

/ My Father's MF 135 #1  

67MF135

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135 gas, New Holland TC40 w/ front loader
I think I will start this thread at the beginning. My father passed away in 2005 and left me his tractor but my mother didn't want to part with it. Finally, after 5 years, she decided I could get it and bring it to my home. So these pictures are from November 2010. I've been in the process of repainting since then!

I joined the forum to share information on the build and to ask some questions about reassembly. I took a great deal of pictures and stored most on my laptop. Of course, in the meantime the hard drive went bad on the laptop and I lost some of the pictures. Mostly of the disassembly process.

This is my starting point:

Attachments

• IM000660 (Small).JPG
    IM000660 (Small).JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,051
  • IM000643 (Small).JPG
    IM000643 (Small).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IM000644 (Small).JPG
    IM000644 (Small).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 370
  • IM000647 (Small).JPG
    IM000647 (Small).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IM000650 (Small).JPG
    IM000650 (Small).JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 321
   / My Father's MF 135 #2  
Good looking tractor !! Keep us posted with your progress. Ken Sweet

/ My Father's MF 135 #4  
Very nice tractor and I'm sure it brings good memories. I like the model year (or model option) where they put the lights on the rear fender. I've been looking at used 135's online last few days so title of your post caught my attention.

I will be following your posts of the painting and rebuild. Please share your techniques as I am in process of tearing down old TO20. I'll probably have similar two year schedule by the time I am done!

/ My Father's MF 135
This might help for info:
Massey Ferguson 135 Parts - Yesterday's Tractors

Have you found any plates on it with numbers that can be used to ID the model and year?

I have the bill of sale from the tractor dealer when purchased used. I think my father bought it in 1975. I know it was after I left home. LOL We had a Ferguson 30 prior to that. He also bought our first riding lawnmower about that time! Again, after I left home!
It's a 1967 135 according to the numbers. It has a Continental? 4 cyl gas engine, power steering, non-locking differential. The engine tag has Z-145. SPEC 12.

/ My Father's MF 135
In response to Tompet - I don't know about the durability of the paint, but I used International Harvester Red enamel from Tractor Supply for the red body parts. I used a quality thinner along with Acrylic hardener. The hardener came from Tractor Supply also. I used the IH red because the MF red seemed to be too orange. The IH red matched perfectly with the original paint.
For the chassis I used Nason Massey Ferguson grey metallic from a local automotive store. I used a urethane reducer for this paint. I was tentative about spraying the metallic, but it went on with ease. I also used a Kobalt gravity feed spray gun from Lowe's. I used the smallest gun they have - I have the big gun, but I worked in such a piece meal fashion that the small gun worked fine.
I also used Rustoleum aluminum and acrylic hardener for the rear rims. Wow, wrestling those wheels around is a challenge, even with a front loader on the other tractor!

/ My Father's MF 135 #7  
Looks good with the flat top fenders on it.

/ My Father's MF 135 #8  
Your tractor looks in great condition. It's the Deluxe model since it has the full instrument cluster.

It does not have the Multipower option--if it did you would have a small up/down lever located on the lower right part of the dashboard. The MP has a hydraulic clutch with two ranges, High (lever UP) and Low (lever Down). This changes the transmission from 6F/2R (standard gears) to 12F/4R as well as giving you added features (hill holding, engine braking).

Both the diesel and gas engine versions of the 135 were noted for their fuel efficiency. Your gasser will be somewhat easier to work on since you can rebuild the carburetor yourself. Rebuilding the high pressure fuel pump on the diesel version is done in a specialty shop that has the right equipment.

Good luck.

/ My Father's MF 135 #9  
Thanks for reply on your paint choices.
Flusher (or anyone else) what version of the 135's had the flat top rear fenders with lights....special option?

/ My Father's MF 135
just a bit of an update plus questions. I have finished most of the painting and putting things back together.

1. Does anybody have a blowup diagram of the steering wheel assembly or know how the plastic and metal cups and spring go together underneath the steering wheel? I took pictures, but my hard drive went bad and I lost a bunch of pictures.

2. I'm cleaning the inside of the gas tank. I dropped a big length of heavy log chain inside the tank and have tilted the tank back and forth a bit. I'm going to pressure wash what I can, drain and plug it and pour a bottle of CLR inside. I'll then tilt it more with the chain inside. Anybody got any better ideas?

3. I'm curious about the chemicals you can put inside to coat the tank. I talked to a fella that put some in a motorcycle and it caused havoc. He said the chemical coating came off and ruined his carburetors.

Some pics from a while back:

Attachments

• IM000714.JPG
    IM000714.JPG
    990.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IM000710.JPG
    IM000710.JPG
    781.5 KB · Views: 1,245
  • IM000708.JPG
    IM000708.JPG
    881.7 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN1449.jpg