My Favorite Holiday Cake

/ My Favorite Holiday Cake #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
[
"Elsie's White Holiday Cake"​

I am going to give you a treasured family recipe for a special kind of cake. It's not fruit cake, and it's not

your everyday kind of cake either. Anyone can make it, even me. I used to take it to work and they

gobbled it up. This is not a fruit cake; don't get the two confused.

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

1 pound of butter

6 eggs

1 pound of white raisins

2 ounce bottle of lemon extract

1 pound of chopped nuts

Cream Butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time; cream. Sift flour once, then measure. Mix flour,

raisins and nuts together & add to creamed batter. Add extract and mix well. Bake at 300 - 325

degrees for one hour or longer in an angel food cake pan. Remove from oven, cool and remove from

pan. Wrap in Saran Wrap, then in aluminum foil. Best if aged at least 30 days before serving.

/ My Favorite Holiday Cake #2  
When I was in Viet Nam, my mother would mail me jam cakes two or three times a year. As a package going through the military mail system, it often took two weeks or so to get there and by that time they had aged so much they were delicious.

/ My Favorite Holiday Cake #3  
When I was in Nam, my wife sent all kinds of Care packages.

Most of her great cookies came as crumbs. Still tasted good and if I got a fair sized piece, normally one of my buddies got it. She knew better than to try to send other baked goods since her father was a lifer also. He served in WW2, Korea and Nam.

/ My Favorite Holiday Cake
My brother was in the Marines in Viet Nam; I sent him several packages. It's been a long time, but as I recall, most of it was stuff that wouldn't melt or break...like canned candy, fruit and such. He said it was customary to share; that he would pick out the "good stuff" and let the rest of the guys have at it. I recall that the postage was usually about twice the cost of the contents.

/ My Favorite Holiday Cake #5  
My brother was in the Marines in Viet Nam; I sent him several packages. It's been a long time, but as I recall, most of it was stuff that wouldn't melt or break...like canned candy, fruit and such. He said it was customary to share; that he would pick out the "good stuff" and let the rest of the guys have at it. I recall that the postage was usually about twice the cost of the contents.

Yes, my wife talked about the cost of postage also. I couldn't tell, as one of the few benefits we did get was free postage back to the real world.