My first attachment!

/ My first attachment! #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
OK, it's only a drawbar, but still this is a big step for me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had a lot of trees go down last week during the big storm we had, and have a few I need to drag out of the woods. Figured I would use the 8N, but had nothing to hook to. Now I know to not pull any thing to big, just a few small trees, or small cut up pieces. Next comes the brush cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ My first attachment! #2  
Sounds like a good starting point. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I can give some safty advise, those N tractors have a bad habit of flipping over backwards - the 3pt geometry is a little different & the front ends are light.

To prevent that, do not raise the drawbar up real high for more 'pullung power'. You want to keep the drawbar low.

--->Paul

/ My first attachment! #3  
I totally agree with you Rambler.

I used to work for the local fire dept. On day a call came in and it was our chief stuck under his tractor. Everyone rushed over. He had tried to pull a stump out with a chain connected above the axles. He put on the power and the tractor flipped on top of him. The tapered fenders slid his head into a safe area but if he would have been an inch or two over they would have crushed his skull. Also the gear shifter ripped out the crouch of his pants but somehow missed the important parts and drove a couple of inches into the ground. Angels must have been watching over him that day because a couple of inches different in several places and we would have been looking for a new chief.

Be careful
Eric

/ My first attachment!
Thanks for the safty tips. I do plan to keep the bar as low as possable, plus I have a good sized snow plow mounted on the front, so the front is pretty much weighted down. Thanks.

/ My first attachment! #5  
Take it slow and use common sense. Too many accidents are caused by trying to do too much at one time or doing something that you shouldn't be doing it the first place.
You are on the right track. Enjoy your "new" property and equipment
Welcome to Columbia CountyNY
Good Luck,
Harry from Copake NY (about 30 miles southeast of Niverville).

/ My first attachment! #6  
Eric,

That was the first safety tip I learned about tractors. I read the the total time from the front wheels clearing the ground to the tractor being on it's top (and operator) was a total of 1.5 seconds!

With that in mind, most of the time when I'm doing tree work I also have my backhoe on and chain any logs I need to drag to the front bumper and back my way out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Obviously, there are some things I don't have to be told twice.

/ My first attachment!
<font color="red">and chain any logs I need to drag to the front bumper and back my way out.

</font>

Good idea. Mayby I will try that. I do have the plow frame on the tractor, that is realy solid. I will give that a shot.

/ My first attachment!
Harry,

Not new to CC, I grew up here. Nice to be home after all of these years. Also glad to see anouther locol on TBN. A few people from the Albany aera, but I don't know of any others from Columbia county.

/ My first attachment! #9  
18-30376-Paul.jpg

Hi Paul,

With your new Ford tractor… you can now change the “color” of your signature tractor… /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ My first attachment!
<font color="red"> you can now change the "color"of your signature tractor
</font>

True, I never thought of that. Ummmmm what color is rust? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif