My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
I have several hydrostatic machines and I'm fully familiar with how hydrostatic machines work. I bought an L3901 a couple year ago and haven't used it too much (because, as noted, I have other machines). However, this year, I got the tractor out and it was time to see what it would do. Which, to my surprise, isn't much. To put it in perspective, I must run the tractor in low range for ANYTHING other than basic travel across mostly level ground. Even in mid-range, if I stop on a small hill, the tractor will barely take off. I'm aware the tram peddle is not a gas pedal...it operates more like a gear box...applying a little tram will give the most torque, etc. But the main thing convincing me the tractor may have a problem is its behavior. Specifically, I can't make the engine "bog down" under tram load. For example, if I try to start off on a hill in high range, the engine does not complain even though the hydrostatic transmission is whining away and the tractor isn't moving. Ether the engine has so much power it can engage the transmission pressure reliefs with ease, or the pressure reliefs are set too low (or, the transmission has a problem).

I'm posting to get the experience of some other 3901 owners. Does this sound normal to you? When in mid or high range, can you bog down the engine when attempting to take off or transverse on a hill that's too steep? Before I take the tractor in for service, or trade it for another model, I’d like to get an opinion as to whether this experience is normal for this tractor.

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #2  
I have several hydrostatic machines and I'm fully familiar with how hydrostatic machines work. I bought an L3901 a couple year ago and haven't used it too much (because, as noted, I have other machines). However, this year, I got the tractor out and it was time to see what it would do. Which, to my surprise, isn't much. To put it in perspective, I must run the tractor in low range for ANYTHING other than basic travel across mostly level ground. Even in mid-range, if I stop on a small hill, the tractor will barely take off. I'm aware the tram peddle is not a gas pedal...it operates more like a gear box...applying a little tram will give the most torque, etc. But the main thing convincing me the tractor may have a problem is its behavior. Specifically, I can't make the engine "bog down" under tram load. For example, if I try to start off on a hill in high range, the engine does not complain even though the hydrostatic transmission is whining away and the tractor isn't moving. Ether the engine has so much power it can engage the transmission pressure reliefs with ease, or the pressure reliefs are set too low (or, the transmission has a problem).

I'm posting to get the experience of some other 3901 owners. Does this sound normal to you? When in mid or high range, can you bog down the engine when attempting to take off or transverse on a hill that's too steep? Before I take the tractor in for service, or trade it for another model, I’d like to get an opinion as to whether this experience is normal for this tractor.
Sounds normal to me.

Stop on a hill in high range with engine at near full throttle.

Mash HST pedal fully to floor.

Stall engine?

Thought so.

SDT

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #3  
Doesn't sound right to me.

I have an l3800 hst 4x4 and nothing but hills. Tractor lives 100% in 4x4 mode, and 90% of the time in mid gear. I only use low when mowing the the steepest of slopes or boxblading the driveway. Never feels sluggish in mid gear, even with a round bale hanging off both ends.

Anything seem off with your FEL or 3pt lifting capacity or is it only transmission related?

I'd throw a gauge on the hydraulics to see where it's maxing.

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #4  
No it’s not right. I have a L3800 and it has a lot more power than it does traction. It’ll drive up any hill in medium range and easily spin out in medium if attempting to pull an immovable load. It’ll go up most hills in high without loosing much speed.

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #5  
I can only go on past experience with the 3910 predecessor (grandfather?) the L3400. It had a 3 range hydro and around 36 hp If I remember correctly. Most work was done in LO and MED ranges, HI is strictly for transport on the road and level roads at that. It certainly won't climb steep hills effectively in HI range and we have STEEP hills here in Branson mo. But the tractor was very responsive in MED range and would "move right along" even with a full bucket etc. I never mowed in anything but LO range, as we don't have any fields, just brush mowing trails and paths. Of course in LO range there is lots of "grunt" and push. In LO the wheels will always spin, even on asphalt when you are up against an immovable object. In MED of course the engine will load and drop some RPM's, but it won't usually stall. The wheels MAY spin in MED range, or they may not depending on surface slipperiness. I HI range of course the wheels won't spin on just about any surface, maybe ice, but the point is you never attempt to do ANY work in HI range, remember HI is strictly for transport of an unloaded tractor. And if the terrain is steep you will be going up hills in MED range.

This really isn't much difference than trying to do work in a geared transmission tractor in its highest gear. You always climb steep hills in top gear don't you?

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #6  
I highly reccommended this tractor to an institutional customer. I am distressed, because they hate it, saying as well, it is underpowered. A toy. Mostly they don't like the lack of loader lifting capacity. And the front snowblower keeps suffering costly repairs, for wear, not abuse.

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me
Sounds normal to me.

Stop on a hill in high range with engine at near full throttle.

Mash HST pedal fully to floor.

Stall engine?

Thought so.

SDT
Well, this isn't a fair test. I'm talking about normal operating conditions. Not setting up an extreme test where I "know" it will fail. However, you may be right that my experience is normal. Do you have an L series tractor? If so, can you use it for most normal work in mid-range? I can't do anything in mid-range but travel. Again, this may be normal...which is why I'm asking.

Doesn't sound right to me.

I have an l3800 hst 4x4 and nothing but hills. Tractor lives 100% in 4x4 mode, and 90% of the time in mid gear. I only use low when mowing the the steepest of slopes or boxblading the driveway. Never feels sluggish in mid gear, even with a round bale hanging off both ends.

Anything seem off with your FEL or 3pt lifting capacity or is it only transmission related?

I'd throw a gauge on the hydraulics to see where it's maxing.
It seems to be only transmission related. If I put a heavy load on the front bucket, the steering is a bit "jerky" if I'm not moving. But that is normal per my local Kubota dealer.

No it’s not right. I have a L3800 and it has a lot more power than it does traction. It’ll drive up any hill in medium range and easily spin out in medium if attempting to pull an immovable load. It’ll go up most hills in high without loosing much speed.

My tires are filled and I keep the tractor in 4wd all the time along with a tiller on the back for counterweight. It does NOT want to spin the wheels in low, never mind mid-range. I've had a few times digging soft dirt (wash near my creek) and it didn't want to spin the tires at all in low. Since the tractor is fairly new (less that 100 hours) and I generally don't want to abuse my machines by creating cavitation in the hydraulic pump, I backed off and took a lighter bite. Again, this is low-range. Maybe I'm just too gentle and need to lay the whip to it. However, I KNOW it will not spin in mid-range. In fact, I rarely use mid-range because it's seems so under powered that I don't want to cavitate the pump.

Just in case someone is wondering, I know how to use a hydrostatic powered machine. When under load, only apply the tram necessary to get moving, not pedal to the metal. Yes, it's a touchy-feely thing...not enough tram and you don't move, too much and ether the engine (should) start to stall or you push the reliefs into by-pass. But this tractor has no sweet spot. I stopped the other day on a mild slope in mid-range. As I engaged the tram, it did nothing but whine. The engine did not idle down at all. I had to shift into low.

/ My L3901 seems WAY under-powered to me #10  
This doesn't seem normal. I've never operated an L3901 but, even my L2501 will spin the tires in medium gear when engaging a dirt pile or removing stumps with the bucket. In 4wd and low gear, my L2501 has no problem spinning the wheels and digging 4 deep holes up to the rim.

Mike