My little dozer

/ My little dozer #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
Weather is finally broken from the -44 windchills and gave us a chance to get back in the bush and start felling timber again .
This is my 1967 CAT D7e powershift making a few roads..?

/ My little dozer #2  
AWESOME pics!!

How much power does it have? I know the new D6's are right under 200hp, but the older D6's were in the 160hp range.

Have you had to do any work on it? Mine can be allot of fun when somethng breaks, and the bigger the dozer, the more fun it is.

Thanks for sharing the pics, that snow sure looks deep.

Eddie

/ My little dozer
Through winter months i supplement the income by selling up to 200 cords of firewood per year ,We started by sawing trees and dealing with stumps later and that is no good so i bought this as a project with cracked heads (Common problem with these old girls).
It's about 24 ton ,180hp ,4cyl,powershift,24v start,14ft blade,Angle/tilt,,hyster winch,1250rpm flat out..?.....Looking for a ripper instead of the winch...?
It's a labour of love with these things ,I recently put a branch through the rad ....Fan,Rad,Labour,Trucking......Around $8'000,Got a quote of CAT and they would write it off ...Even valuing it at $27'000......I paid $14'000 for the cat and $3'500 to put motor right the little accident was insured so i'm happy.
My "BIL" has a 1949 D69u and we work together , They clear a lot of ground in a day ...Currently clearing 75 acres of big poplars..?

/ My little dozer #4  
Do you have any problems with logs wanting to act as a lance and stick you to the rear expanded metal??:D :D

Okay, the wind chill is one thing but what is the temperature??:D

Which way is the fan blowing and do you use a heat houser?:D Those items could make for a comfortable work station.:D

I assume youre working pretty flat land as I couldn't notice any caulks welded to the growsers!:D

/ My little dozer #5  
-44? Yeah, but it's a "Dry cold" !

Funny thing about them cold temps. You can tell how cold it is by the sound of the snow. As the temps drop, the snow squeeks as you walk on it. It's really nasty at about -30F, sounding like fingernails on a chalk board. ehhhh.

You must use a full tree fire wood processor to get out 200 cord! That would be a lot of sawing and splitting the old fashioned way. I've gone thru about 4 full cord this winter. It wasn't as cold as last year, I was out of wood by this time. I've probably go 2 full cord left. Still 200 cord must go a good distance to keeping the old dozers fed and watered.

jb

/ My little dozer #7  
My Dad was a contractor for years and had a 1960s era D6. It was a good dozer. For a while he had no muffler on it (I don't remember why now, or why he didn't just put a muffler on it?) and you had to wear ear plugs to run it. At WOT it was LOOOOOOUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDD!

/ My little dozer #8  
RickS said:
For a while he had no muffler on it (I don't remember why now, or why he didn't just put a muffler on it?)

I bet the reason he didn't put a muffler on it was the price of one!! :eek: I have a Case dozer and they want over $800 for a muffler.

No way was I going to pay that price, so I went to a muffler shop and bought one with a four inch opening and had it welded onto a sleeve that I can attach to my old, burned out muffler.

Cost was just over $100 for the muffler and labor.

It sure is nice to have a muffler on it!!

Eddie