My local newspaper is a big disappointment

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I'm not sure this link will work, but here is a link to the newspaper story that prompted me to write a letter to the editor. I just felt insulted that at Christmas time they would give front page coverage and another whole page to this criminal who deserves to be exactly where he is. My letter to the editor is at the end of this post. Am I lacking in Christmas Spirit? I don't think so.

Here's the story link.

An excerpt from the story is below in in case the link does not work.

By Brandon Evans | Published Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Several Christmas cards stand propped open on the upper level of a narrow, metal bunk bed.

Itç—´ tucked away in the corner of cell housing 10 other inmates. Other items, including a box of crackers and toiletries, line the shelf, but none are as important to 32-year-old Joey South as the cards sent to him from his family on the outside.

BEHIND THE GLASS Joey South talks to his 13-year-old son Trevor during a visit at the jail last Saturday. Messenger photo by Joe Duty

展hat makes your time a little more at ease is having a family that still loves you, unconditionally, South said. 鉄ome of these people in here they aren稚 that blessed. Or some of them have made choices where their family just can稚 deal with them no more.

In the middle of the cell stands a small green Christmas tree made out of paper. His wife, Gingi, spent several hours crafting it so he could have his own tree in his cell.

South feels fortunate to have family in his corner despite having made some bad choices. He was arrested nine months ago and charged with numerous gun thefts, use of a stolen credit card, burglary and possession of K2, a synthetic version of marijuana. He was on parole, so the felony charges landed him back in jail as he awaits a trial. He admits to the credit card abuse and drug possession, but denies the gun theft.

A native of Bridgeport who was raised in Chico and attended school in Decatur, South has family and friends all over Wise County.

Heç—´ a large, strong man, with a chest like a barrel and hands as big as frying pans. He works out every day. Despite his size, heç—´ soft-spoken and careful with his words.

å…¸he thing about Joey is if you pass him in the hallway and ask how heç—´ doing, he always says heç—´ blessed, said Wise County Jail administrator Rick Denney. æ»´eç—´ big enough he could cause some problems if he wanted to. Heç—´ not like some of the other guys who just kick their door every day, yelling and screaming, causing the staff problems that we have to deal with on a regular basis.ç´�/I]

My letter to the editor is below:

As a new subscriber to the WCM, I am extremely disappointed by Brandon Evans's story regarding repeat criminal Joey South. Mr. South's incarceration is completely of his own doing. I have no sympathy for him or his current wife who chose to marry a man whose "stripes" were evident. He is charged with stolen firearm possession, using stolen credit cards, and numerous narcotics violations. If there is anything evident, it is that this man cannot control his life, the people he associates with, or his temptation to steal from honest hardworking people. Sure, it's a shame that his children suffer, but what of the children of his victims? If Mr. South wants to see who is responsible for his family's suffering, he only has to gaze into the mirror. Indeed, he made bad decisions. He's a big dangerous man who can terrorize when he is free and out of control. Life in jail seems to agree with him. He is clean and able to engage in self-examination with a sober mind. He is an ideal citizen in jail because his life is structured in a way he could not do for himself.

Jails are full of people who make bad decisions. Criminals are jailed to protect the public from repeat offenders like Mr. South. I wish him only well and that he can gain enough self-control to become a productive member of society. In the meantime, I wish the WCM would spend more time giving us stories about people who are unfortunate due to no fault of their own. These are people who need a hand up rather than a handout. Especially at Christmas time, we need to hear more about them. Had Mr. Evans's story have been about the suffering of Mr. South's family, I could surely be more sympathetic.

Jim Inman,
Sunset, TX

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #2  
Good for you Jim, well said. I'm old school when it comes to criminal behavior, especially criminal behavior repeated by someone on probation. Never heard of anybody burglarizing or stealing to benefit society, it can only hurt. If he doesn't want to be in jail during Christmas, he should not break laws.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #3  
You can't see me right now, but if you could, you would see me clapping after reading your letter. I'd be interested to know if you get a reply.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #4  
Jail. Too bad, so sad. Actions have consequences. Can't do the time- stop doing the crime(s). No sympathy for the devil.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #5  
Could not agree more!

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #6  
I agree and stand w/you Jim.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #7  
Hard to say what the writer was trying for there.

It is a sort of cautionary tale, as in this is where criminals spend Christmas. It didn't quite read that way though.

As to Christmas, well Christians believe in Redemption of Sin, so there is that to think about. Jesus is for sinners too. Perhaps the writer was getting at that angle without being overt about it.

In any case, letters to the editor are always good reading and I'm sure yours will strike a chord with many readers.

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #8  
Good for you Jim! More people like us who are fed up with the 'liberal', 'mainstream', 'biased', or whatever else you want to call the media need to speak out and say why. I also am sick and tired of glorifying criminals, both those behind bars and those elected to government positions who think they are now above the law.

Someone else may have already said it but please keep us posted of the paper's response. Whether they publish your letter and whether others respond in kind or against what you have written. The country can be "taken back" but it won't happen without good people standing up and holding criminals of all sorts accountable for their decisions and actions. Parents... it needs to start with our children!

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment
Thanks everyone for your support. I tried to be as unpolitical as possible in my letter, stressing things all people can identify with. My little paper does good most of the time and this story just shocked me for it's tone. I just could not get the picture out of my brain of a huge hulk of a man who is high on K2 and coming after me or my family with a gun to steal our credit cards. Maybe a low security facility where he has constant supervision might turn him around, but I feel less than sympathetic for him in his current situation. Actually, this may be one of the best Christmas times he has had in the last few years. He's sober, hard working, and cares about his family. Isn't that a positive?

/ My local newspaper is a big disappointment #10  
An excerpt from the story is below in in case the link does not work.

Yep, the link says you have to be a subscriber to read the story. I guess more and more newspapers are having to do that.

And, as I'm sure you would guess, I agree with you.:D