My LPGS

/ My LPGS #1  

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Five years ago I bought a brand new Land Pride, land plane grading scraper( GS2584 ). I have a mile long gravel driveway that turns to concrete in the summer. The LPGS would just bounce down the driveway - doing a whole lot of nothing.

Well - today it was time to grade out a muddy, rutted, gouged 200 foot section of my driveway. It was dry on top but still had moisture in the gravel/dirt below. Previous years I used my heavy Rhino rear blade. One hour and less than satisfactory results. It just pulled dry gravel/dirt on top of rock hard gravel - no bonding what-so-ever.

This year I tried a different approach. LPGS with all seven scarifiers DOWN. Set about 1 1/2" to 2" below the two following blades.

My LORD - what a pleasant difference. It scarified the top 2" and the two following blades smoothed it out. It's now the the smoothest section on my driveway-smooth as a babies butt. Now the top is smooth and bonded with the gravel below.

Tomorrow I'll go down with the Taco Wagon and pack it down.

For those with rock hard driveways and are considering a LPGS. Get the scarifiers also. You too will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW - good that the Kubota weighs 10,100# and is 4WD. The LPGS with scarifiers down is a substantial pull.

/ My LPGS #2  
Five years ago I bought a brand new Land Pride, land plane grading scraper( GS2584 ). I have a mile long gravel driveway that turns to concrete in the summer. The LPGS would just bounce down the driveway - doing a whole lot of nothing.

Well - today it was time to grade out a muddy, rutted, gouged 200 foot section of my driveway. It was dry on top but still had moisture in the gravel/dirt below. Previous years I used my heavy Rhino rear blade. One hour and less than satisfactory results. It just pulled dry gravel/dirt on top of rock hard gravel - no bonding what-so-ever.

This year I tried a different approach. LPGS with all seven scarifiers DOWN. Set about 1 1/2" to 2" below the two following blades.

My LORD - what a pleasant difference. It scarified the top 2" and the two following blades smoothed it out. It's now the the smoothest section on my driveway-smooth as a babies butt. Now the top is smooth and bonded with the gravel below.

Tomorrow I'll go down with the Taco Wagon and pack it down.

For those with rock hard driveways and are considering a LPGS. Get the scarifiers also. You too will be pleasantly surprised.

BTW - good that the Kubota weighs 10,100# and is 4WD. The LPGS with scarifiers down is a substantial pull.

My LPGS is 72 and has scarifiers...they make a huge difference. Only problem is that it can make the road flat flat flat,,No water runoff makes for quick return of potholes

/ My LPGS
Flat - for sure. However - I have this one spot that is, more or less, hopeless. I've built it up as much as possible. The water from the neighbor's fields, on both sides, just lies there saturating this section. It's been fixed for this year. I'm always looking for better material for this section.

Railroad ballast would be ideal and there is an abandoned RR line just a mile down the road. I've even asked - I think my name was put on a list. Just because I asked. And not the "good" list.

Oh, well - there is alway hope. It's been this way for 38+ years - I will survive.

/ My LPGS #4  
OOSIK, You need some of this. 7000 lbs I picked up last week for part of my drive.

Attachments

• KIMG3061.jpg
    KIMG3061.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 185
   / My LPGS #5  
Question, can a crown be built into the gravel drive and the use a landplane half of the width of the drive and still keep the crown. ie, use the land plane on each half of the drive and not down the center? Just wondering. On my drive I can get it to crown, but I am using BX2230 with a 5ft rear blade. The landplane would need to be at most 5ft wide. But the drive has bumps and I can't seem to be rid of them. Thanks for the info. Jon

/ My LPGS
From my experience with my 7' LPGS. NO - you can not build a crown into a driveway with this unit. You CAN maintain the existing crown. Up one side - back down the other. The LPGS simply does not move material horizontally. It pulls material FORWARD and fills small voids, etc.

You need either a rear blade or box blade - something that WILL move material horizontally.

You need something with scarifiers to lessen the bumps. Loosen the top material - grade it back smooth. A LPGS with scarifiers will do this.

Crown & bumps are two completely different situations. Requiring two different implements.

A box blade with scarifiers might do this. But a set of scarifiers alone - followed by a rear blade would most effective.

At least in my case, the top couple inches must be loosened(scarifiers) - then this loosened material can be moved horizontally to create a crown. Loosening the top also bonds whatever you finally do to the soils below.

Like a pothole. Unless you first scarify - any soil added to fill the pothole will not bond to the soils below. It's like putting sand down on a cement slab. It just sits there and with traffic - it will slowly but surely be knocked out of the initial placement spot.

/ My LPGS #7  
Why can't you build a crown with the LPGS? Does the Land Pride one not have adjustable shoes like the Woods one does? But even if it doesn't you can adjust the tilt of it with your 3 point links.

/ My LPGS #8  
Question, can a crown be built into the gravel drive and the use a landplane half of the width of the drive and still keep the crown. ie, use the land plane on each half of the drive and not down the center? Just wondering. On my drive I can get it to crown, but I am using BX2230 with a 5ft rear blade. The landplane would need to be at most 5ft wide. But the drive has bumps and I can't seem to be rid of them. Thanks for the info. Jon

If I understand your question: Can you use a LPGS half the with of a crowned road to maintain the road w/o destroying the crown? The answer is yes - that is what I have done for the past 10 years with my 5' wide LPGS. We have deep frosts in the winter and spring mud seasons here which is hard on roads so I do have to recrown once in a while - every 3 years or so it seems but for routine maintenance the LPGS is all I need. I even run it down the center to remove the middle berm that is left. But when I do I lengthen the top link which raises the the front so the that blades just barely kiss off the berm. My blades a straight rather than angled so that is much easier for me to do.

gg

Attachments

• GradedRd.JPG
    GradedRd.JPG
    856.1 KB · Views: 133
  • GradeDrive1.JPG
    GradeDrive1.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 130
  • GradeDrive2.JPG
    GradeDrive2.JPG
    724 KB · Views: 119
   / My LPGS #9  
Why can't you build a crown with the LPGS? Does the Land Pride one not have adjustable shoes like the Woods one does? But even if it doesn't you can adjust the tilt of it with your 3 point links.

Your question is best answered in my opinion by explaining that while you can drive a 100 screws with a drill/driver, once you have used an impact driver, you will never do it again!
Different implements are designed for different types of work! Can you make another implement perform the task? Sure. But not as well!
Yes I can after lots and lots of effort cut out ruts with my straight blade, but not near as fast or as good as with my box blade with cutting scarifiers. However while I cut a crown on a driveway with my box blade, I again can use my straight blade tilted and angled and do it quicker
I have as of yet not acquired a land plane for my compact so I will refrain from commenting on its use. I have watched some videos, and think I would like to try one for routine maintenance of the driveway, but as yet no such process.

/ My LPGS #10  
If I understand your question: Can you use a LPGS half the with of a crowned road to maintain the road w/o destroying the crown? The answer is yes - that is what I have done for the past 10 years with my 5' wide LPGS. We have deep frosts in the winter and spring mud seasons here which is hard on roads so I do have to recrown once in a while - every 3 years or so it seems but for routine maintenance the LPGS is all I need. I even run it down the center to remove the middle berm that is left. But when I do I lengthen the top link which raises the the front so the that blades just barely kiss off the berm. My blades a straight rather than angled so that is much easier for me to do.

gg

You understood my question correctly. I built the crown by using my 4ft weighted disc (my scarifiers) and my 5 ft rear blade tipped via tilting the 3pt arms. If and when I buy a land plane, I would seriously look at one half the width of my drive. That would take out the bumps the drive has. Thanks, Jon