My new log wagonr: let's get hitched

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #1  

motownbrowne

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D
So, I had a relatively heavy duty running gear sitting at the edge of the field. I also had some 4" square tubing laying around from a long abandoned project. So, I figured I'd make up a log wagon. I decided that I'd build it to haul 8' logs, since that's a size that a couple guys I cut with use. We'll skid logs out of the woods, cut them to 8' and take them wherever we're processing firewood.

This wagon will be used primarily on my property or on a couple other lots within a couple miles from me. I won't ever use it on highways or at speeds over 20 mph. It'll make bringing home more than a pickup load at a time possible when cutting away from my property, and it'll make it possible to move wood on my land with less impact. When thinning or cutting wood during times when the ground is soft, I can skid logs to where I can load the wagon, then drive it across the property to where I make firewood and cut it at my convenience.

Anyway, I'll have to get some more pictures of the wagon later, but here's a teaser.

rps20161112_141256_584.jpg

I also added a hitch to my Farmi winch, and a tow bar and hitch to my Jeep. This way, I can drive my whole rig to the neighbor's place to cut. Obviously I'd never drive like this with a loaded trailer. It is handy, though, to bring the Jeep with in addition to the tractor and trailer. My Jeep carries my saws, gas, first aid kit, tools, lunch, etc. Also, I can use it to zip home or into town if I need something.

Once I load the trailer I can drive the tractor with the Jeep in tow back home, then head to back for the trailer. Although, I did notice that the wagon has a hitch on the back of it. For small loads, I might try towing the Jeep behind the wagon. Worth a shot anyway.

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #3  
I just converted a similar wagon. Handy. I elevated the bolsters so when trying to get the logs off with the Grapple I didn't find myself pinching the wagon chassis as easily.

My uses are to get longer logs out of the timber without having to drag them. Don't like dragging logs at all. Very hard on chainsaw chain when blocking.

Nice addition to the operation.

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched
Still need to take some close ups. I ran out of 6011 rod, and tried out some 7018. It wasn't 7018ac, but I still laid some beads that I wouldn't be embarrassed to post up here.

Anyway, I put my first load on it today. I've been doing some thinning along the north edge of my woods in preparation for some new sap tubing this winter. I'm cutting out a lot of ash, thinning sugar maples, and thinning some bitternut hickory. There's a few American elms and black cherries in there too that I'm trying to save.

rps20161115_192749_494.jpg

I've been doing 90% of my cutting with my Dolmar 421. I can't say enough great things about that saw. It's incredibly easy to start, which makes it slick for this job, which requires lots of starting and stopping the saw. I've also been really really enjoying my new Stihl hookaroon, which is a rebadged logrite. I had another pickaroon before, but this is a way nicer tool. If you do any work with logs or firewood, buy one. Don't think about it, buy one.

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #5  
I have a few running gears that I use for saw and firewood logs, and have been using them for that purpose for many years...

They work quite good and can be bought dirt cheeeep...

SR

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched
I have a few running gears that I use for saw and firewood logs, and have been using them for that purpose for many years...

SR

Yes sir. Other than welding rod, I've got $38 into this wagon. That's because I'm using a ratcheting chain binder to hold the bunks onto the gear in the back. I wanted to maintain the ability of the wagon to flex, and that was the easiest way I could think of. Had to buy the binder, though...

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #7  
Lots of guys just wrap a short piece of chain around the bunks, tie it into a knot and bolt the ends together...

It works pretty good...

SR

/ My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #8  
My neighbor gave me a wagon with a silage bed on it. Bed was junk. I removed it and made myself a log hauler. Started by simply laying the logs on the axles. Didn't like that. Too hard to Grapple them off without making contact with the chassis.

20161024_094308 (1280x720).jpg

20161024_115726 (1280x720).jpg

So I raised the bolsters. Like it a lot better now. Allows me to remove 20' logs from the timber and move them to the block pile.

20161101_143139 (1280x720).jpg

Attachments

• 20161101_143139 (120x68).jpg
    20161101_143139 (120x68).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 103
   / My new log wagonr: let's get hitched #9  

SR

I'd love to see pics of them Rob. Might pick up some new ideas!!!! Thanks. :)