My new UTV

/ My new UTV #11  
Good find. You'll get many, many years of service out of that Jeep. 4cyl is fine for what you will do with it. If putting a lot of hiway miles on a Jeep I prefer a 6cyl. But you'll be fine.

Cut the sway bars off and the front track bar. Then weld the rear diff solid. You'll then be surprised how well it'll get around on the farm.

You've got a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 35 rear. Being a 4cyl they are 4.10 gears.

If you want to run a slightly larger tire the cheapest and easiest way to get clearance is a body lift. 1" will allow a couple sizes larger tire. 2" will allow a 32" tire if you don't mind a bit of rubbing when turning sharp. I don't recommend more than a 2" BL.

I'm 5' 10" tall. I like seat risers. Best for me is 1.5". Makes seeing over the hood much easier when offroad. Also uncramps the legs a bit.

I wheeled an 87 Wrangler for 15 years until I lost it in a shop fire. It had evolved quite a bit by then. :)

DSC01965.JPG DSC02074.JPG

/ My new UTV
Hey Richard, I'm glad you chimed in. I think I'm gonna run the stock tires for now, since they have decent tread, but I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for some bigger used ones.

One of my main planned uses for this vehicle is cruising around in the snow. Our cabin is about 1/4 mile away from the road on a good tractor trail. I can plow the trail, but usually, I turn the back blade around and drive forwards, so the snow compresses and freezes hard. I'd like to be able to hop in the Jeep, drive over packed snow and then 5 miles into town on rural roads and state highway.

My thinking is that the stock tires will be better on the road, with more weight per square inch of road contact, but that bigger tires will float better on my packed trail. Anybody have much experience driving these things around on/off road in the winter? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, regarding welding the rear end. I've heard of this before, and I understand what it accomplished, but I'm wondering if I'd be making the Jeep mostly unusable on pavement. I'd like to be able to drive to town, and even little regional adventures (likely under 150 miles round trip). Would I be better served with a "locker" in the back? My plan is to keep it as is, for now, but have an idea of what to do once I start getting stuck.

Thanks everyone!

/ My new UTV #13  
It is cheap to build a jeep to 4 wheel in. I explained tbe basics earlier.

It is cheap to build a jeep to drive on the road.

It's very expensive to build a jeep to do both. For example, you'll spend $600-$900 to add a selectable locker for the rear.

Originally I heard you say you wanted to use it on the farm. To me that meant mostly off road with an occasional trip on the public roads.

Now I hear you say your biggest concern is getting to town.

So, if that's correct, drive it like it is.

If/when you decide you want more from it, refer to my first post.

In it's stock form it won't drive over a concrete block without spinning out. Remember, this jeep was built in the midst of rollover paranoia by the government. :)

/ My new UTV
Originally I heard you say you wanted to use it on the farm. To me that meant mostly off road with an occasional trip on the public roads.

Now I hear you say your biggest concern is getting to town.
that

I get what you're saying, and I apologize for the mixed messages. I realize that i can't always have my cake and eat it too. I do want to use it on the farm. I'd also like to get to town. Especially in snowy conditions, which we have often here. I hope that using it as is will end up being functional for both uses.

"Wheeling" is something that I basically never see myself doing. Maybe a little trail riding someday, but nothing like you enthusiasts get into. One major difference for me is that I'll almost always be within reach of my tractor, so I suppose I should concentrate on keeping it street worthy and if I get stuck now and then, so be it.

So, welded rear ends and lockers aside, are there any basic upgrades that will improve farm use and still maintain good road behavior? Should I still remove the track bar and sway bar?

/ My new UTV #15  
Good buy.

Biggest thing I would do is trade tires. Go with a true m/t even if stock size. Then maybe some off road lights. And a good hitch if not already equipped.

/ My new UTV #16  
I get what you're saying, and I apologize for the mixed messages. I realize that i can't always have my cake and eat it too. I do want to use it on the farm. I'd also like to get to town. Especially in snowy conditions, which we have often here. I hope that using it as is will end up being functional for both uses.

"Wheeling" is something that I basically never see myself doing. Maybe a little trail riding someday, but nothing like you enthusiasts get into. One major difference for me is that I'll almost always be within reach of my tractor, so I suppose I should concentrate on keeping it street worthy and if I get stuck now and then, so be it.

So, welded rear ends and lockers aside, are there any basic upgrades that will improve farm use and still maintain good road behavior? Should I still remove the track bar and sway bar?

No worries. I totally understand your goals with the Jeep.

Yes, still remove the sway bars and track bars. If not, you'll be stuck a LOT in any type of uneven terrain. This will have little effect on road behavior. These Jeeps were built to soothe the "Safety Police".

I also understand snow use. The most important thing to remember in a Jeep while driving public roads that are iced or snowed over is it's wheelbase length. It will change directions very, very quickly. Not something you want to turn your wife or kids loose in without some serious wheel time on good roads.

As you use it you'll figure out what modifications are most important to you.

/ My new UTV
I just wanted to add an update. The Jeep has become indispensable on our farm. I always figured that a UTV wasn't worth buying because our place is relatively small (we own 20, and I spend time on the neighbor's places with 10&20 each, so I roam about 50 acres). I was wrong. I still can't imagine buying a new side by side, but even a cheaper used one would be worth it.

The Jeep carries my 50cc chainsaw, gas and bar oil, a chainsaw toolbox, another toolbox with a basic set of wrenches and sockets etc, a pickaroon, a 30" cant hook, my splitting maul, saw safety gear, a first aid kit, a couple of chains, a bernzomatic MAP torch and few other odds and ends. And it's still got seats for someone up front and 1 person in the back seat (2 could squeeze in).

The trail to my shop, (I rent from my neighbor) is pretty steep, so I put a set of chains on the front for a little more traction and control. Now, the jeep will easily drive through snow up to the gas tank, and I'm sure would handle more if we get that deep this winter. Unfortunately, it means I can't drive it 5 miles to town for gas, so I have to fill it with cans, which is a little annoying. I do have it registered ($22.50/year) and insured ($120/year) as a farm vehicle, so I can putz around on the road if need be.

I took this picture today, it was a little breezy, but otherwise a perfect firewood cutting day. About 20 degrees with some sunshine. It's very convenient to drive the jeep right to where I'm cutting and have all my tools at hand, then once I've got a few sticks worth skidding, I can go get the tractor and bring them to where I'm cutting. I've been thinning some poplar and ash trees along our power line easement and freeing a few sugar maples that are hiding in there. The wood is pretty small and it's softwood, but it burns good in our syrup evaporator, so it's worth processing. I cut today with my dad's 036 with a 16" bar running full chisel chain. The wood was clean, and everything stayed sharp. That full chisel chain sure is fun in clean softwood!! Anyway, enough rambling. rps20160123_161337.jpgrps20160123_161319.jpg

/ My new UTV #18  
Long ago, almost every farm Jeep in my area had a half-cab so it was a short pickup.

Bed extensions were also common.

Bruce

JeepHalfCab.jpg

jeepbedextension.jpg