My old compressor

/ My old compressor #1  

Dougeye

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra eMax 20s, Takeuchi TB210R
I like old stuff, especially when it still works well and serves its original purpose. I bought this a couple of years ago for next to nothing from a guy whose grandfather had it from new. I questioned why he would sell it, I would have considered it a family heirloom, but he just shrugged and took my money.

It weighs a frikkin ton, but I still use it around the property, albeit on a new axle and pneumatic wheels.

I have it wired 110, but that creates an issue with electrical outlets. At that voltage, it draws 16 amps, and there aren't very many 20 amp outlets around my place.

The unit itself and motor still have readable tags as shown, but I don't know much about the compressor, the only markings I can see are "2107" on the top. Anybody know more?

IMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.JPGIMG_2961.JPG

/ My old compressor #3  
The tank seems to have been made in 1965. They have an inspection cycle (or take out of use) of 10 years. I see that you are using it so it's still working. I suggest you keep an eye on it for rust and be sure to keep the tank drained. I had one I used beyond it's 10 year inspection and it eventually failed while I was in the shop. No one was hurt and no shrapnel, but all the light things like paper and dust got stired up all of a sudden. To say I was startled would be an understatement.

/ My old compressor #5  
   / My old compressor #6  
   / My old compressor #7  
You have a potential bomb with a 10 year old tank!. age CAN kill!!..
I guess I have a lot of "potential bombs", every compressor I own is older than 10 years old... I bought my big comp. in the 80's...

I'm not too worried, I do MUCH more dangerous things than run my comp., I travel by car several times a week!!!

SR

/ My old compressor
Hmmm.... I wonder what percentage of compressor tanks are either inspected or taken out of service at 10 years. Low single digits, I'd guess. Especially those in non-industrial and non-commercial use. It's not like a propane tank, where the refill station can just refuse to recharge it.

And, I wonder how often these "time bombs" actually explode. Either hardly ever, or so often that it's not newsworthy. I'd guess the former.

Still, all this talk about possible calamity does make me think. Maybe it's time to stick a boroscope inside my old thing and have a look around.

Most likely it will outlast me.

/ My old compressor #9  
Compressor tanks are not like SCUBA tanks that take 3000 PSI.
More like a propane tank, and even so any compressor rupture from corrosion would be at the bottom where water would accumulate and in my opinion would basically start off as a leaking rusty watery mess.
Naturally we should purge ant accumulated water on a periodical basis but I suspect very few do so.
On my compressor I added an elbow and extension for easier access and blow it clean form time to time.
Usually a watery rusty mess is the result.
Air often contains a lot of humidity and when under pressure condenses in a metal tank.
BLOW IT OFTEN!

/ My old compressor #10  
No question in my mind that a compressor just starts to leak, it doesn't just BLOW UP!

I've had one do it, my brother had one do it and my neighbor had one do it, all the same way....just start leaking.

When mine started leaking, I found an old non working comp. at a garage sale for $7.00 and removed the motor ect... Then I cut the comp./motor/mount. off mine,

standard.jpg

and set it on top on the mount of the replacement tank,

standard.jpg

welded the two mounts together, and plumbed it into the replacement tank,

standard.jpg

I did that years ago, and it's been working perfectly ever since.

standard.jpg

Now, as a general rule I leave the valve on the bottom of my comp. tanks slightly open, to leak a tiny bit, and they continually drain. Yeaaa, each day they are empty, but I'm not running a commercial shop, so it's no big deal to let one pump up, when I need to use it.

SR