My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #21  
Well Mr. Bone, your Kubota engine is also high quality and well designed. I have a small disp. Kubota diesel engine that powers the 7.5 kw generator in my motorhome. It is very reliable and quiet.

That's the reason I said "almost". I love my little Kubota engine but Perkins is a close, close second. Hope you find the problem with yours (If, in fact you do have a problem). My 231S didn't have many bells and whistles, no shuttle shift or convenience features, but it was one tough little tractor.

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #22  
If I'm not mistaken Perkins and Caterpillar are in bed together now. Cat has been on top of the heap for a long time.

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power
That's the reason I said "almost". I love my little Kubota engine but Perkins is a close, close second. Hope you find the problem with yours (If, in fact you do have a problem). My 231S didn't have many bells and whistles, no shuttle shift or convenience features, but it was one tough little tractor.

My M-F 231S is getting HID lamps in the headlights so I can work at night. Also, I am redoing the wiring harness with heavier gauge wire and a new fuse panel. My horn even beeps. I'm going to relay control to preserve the switches.

You're right...the 231S is a tough tractor. Mine was made in Turkey. When I bought mine used a few years ago, it came with a bullet hole in the radiator. My rad guy repaired the hole and installed a brass petcock. Mine has no FEL and the hydraulics are limited. I may install a new upgraded pump.

As somebody mentioned, Perkins is popular in marine applications as well. I understand that Caterpillar now owns Perkins. That's fine with me. My motorhome is CAT powered. Uses HEUI injection technology. The Perkins? Uses a CAV pump...simple and cheap and a 5th grader can likely repair it (this may draw the ire of PumpGuy).

I live in Blount County near Warrior...lots of rocks in the soil here....my Chicomm flail mower loves them.

If I'm not mistaken Perkins and Caterpillar are in bed together now. Cat has been on top of the heap for a long time.

Correct. Good marriage. CAT stock is at $143. If ***** is reelected, the stock will go to $160.

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #25  
Yeah caterpillar has owned Perkins since the mid-1990's which is good I guess. I always loved Caterpillar because of their cheap prices on parts compared to John Deere. Still a fan of John Deere more than Caterpillar, but I hate their insane prices on parts.

I also like the availability of Perkins Parts. I needed to redo the top-end on my Perkins after I pulled the head, and a look online found what I needed at a cheap price. WALMART. Gasket set came in a few days, right to the door in the grips of Covid back in April.

Overall, I just like Perkins Engines. Strong and simple, which is why they are used on boats a lot. It is quite a chore to pull an engine out of a yacht, lobster boat, or sailing vessel!

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #26  
Correct. Good marriage. CAT stock is at $143. If ***** is reelected, the stock will go to $160.

:thumbsup: . . . .

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #27  
Yeah caterpillar has owned Perkins since the mid-1990's which is good I guess. I always loved Caterpillar because of their cheap prices on parts compared to John Deere. Still a fan of John Deere more than Caterpillar, but I hate their insane prices on parts.

I also like the availability of Perkins Parts. I needed to redo the top-end on my Perkins after I pulled the head, and a look online found what I needed at a cheap price. WALMART. Gasket set came in a few days, right to the door in the grips of Covid back in April.

Overall, I just like Perkins Engines. Strong and simple, which is why they are used on boats a lot. It is quite a chore to pull an engine out of a yacht, lobster boat, or sailing vessel!

If my memory isn't too screwed up Cat and Deere used to be in bed together with Deere heading up the hydraulic end of the deal but the govt. declared them some kind of monopoly and split them up. They both survived and prospered as we all know.

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #28  
If my memory isn't too screwed up Cat and Deere used to be in bed together with Deere heading up the hydraulic end of the deal but the govt. declared them some kind of monopoly and split them up. They both survived and prospered as we all know.

Jim, I don't think your memory is screwed up . . . ;)

/ My Perkins powered M-F seems a bit down on power #29  
Thanks Buddy,it's always nice to have some encouragement from one old phart to another.

So, after fueling the M-F and adding some Diesel Kleen fuel additive, I mowed my orchard and meadow today with no issues. In fact, the Perkins seemed particularly spirited during the work. The temperature was 90F.+ and the only issue was a large log that got spit out of the Chicomm flail mower. I also encountered several bricks but the Buick hubcaps seem to be history now.

The new top link towers are showing cracks at the point where they are angled and attached to the mower chassis...oh those Chicomms....they sure know how to build junk out of junk. After the mowing session, I dropped the engine oil and filter and filled Perky with fresh Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40 and fitted a new Wix oil filter....good for another year. But, the top link towers are going to need some repair.