My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch...

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #11  
For me it was a fortunate happening as my L6060 has been more reliable, outperforms, and is more comfortable operating.
One thing everyone needs to do (you included) is make sure the breather hose on top of the transmission case isn't plugged with junk. Kubota has a somewhat poor habit of routing the breather hose either down the side of the gearcase or facing rearward where it can get clogged easily. I re-routed the hose on the cab M9 and added a sintered bronze filter and never had had a leak issue. Bought the OS9 used and never checked it and it was weeping. Probably re route it on the OS9 and also add a sintered bronze filter to that as well Filters are called 'air mufflers' I think. Motion Industries sells them, not expensive so does Parker Hannifin.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #12  
One thing everyone needs to do (you included) is make sure the breather hose on top of the transmission case isn't plugged with junk. Kubota has a somewhat poor habit of routing the breather hose either down the side of the gearcase or facing rearward where it can get clogged easily. I re-routed the hose on the cab M9 and added a sintered bronze filter and never had had a leak issue. Bought the OS9 used and never checked it and it was weeping. Probably re route it on the OS9 and also add a sintered bronze filter to that as well Filters are called 'air mufflers' I think. Motion Industries sells them, not expensive so does Parker Hannifin.

Breather on both the L5740 and my L6060 rather crude. The one on my L6060 is simply a hole in the end of the molded synthetic drain plug. Not at all what I was used to on construction and large ag equipment. As there is a large volume of air (unfiltered except for chunks greater than 3 mm), I’ve been surprised that Kubota doesn’t have a proper air filtration.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #13  
If yours is engine oil it’s rare. If it’s hydraulic oil it’s normal, and costly. Mine was a fairly common fwd shaft seal, first noticed when I was working hard so the oil was thin. Only a slight weep until really working and then it streamed. Loaded it and hauled it to my dealer but I was 3rd in line behind 2 with the same problem I got to see, and take pictures of someone else’s tractor split. I really needed the tractor to get straw baled so I asked the dealer owner to make me an offer I couldn’t refuse. He did, so I went home with a L6060 as a replacement. By the way, before leaving for the dealership I searched here and found several with the same problem. I also read here my L6060 has the same seal arrangement so I keep looking for a puddle. Mine failed at 800 hours and I have more than that on my L6060. For me it was a fortunate happening as my L6060 has been more reliable, outperforms, and is more comfortable operating.

Looks like I have the same problem now. I see why they call it a "weep hole". Made me want to cry when I saw the trail of hydraulic fluid.

Mine sounds like what you've described in that it wasn't noticeable until I got the tractor warmed up and then I was leaving a very obvious streak of hydraulic fluid as I crossed the ground.

I'll have to dig into the WSM and prior forum topics to get on top of this, but sounds like it's a very common problem. My machine has 2000 hours on it now.

Do I need to do a lot of diagnostics to figure out what's going on? Does anyone try to repair this themselves as opposed to taking it to a dealer or shop? Anyone care to guess at the cost to repair a L5740 that's trailing hydro fluid out of this weep hole?

Thanks.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #14  
Cost? $5 for the seal...if your time is free... I am waiting for the day this happens on mine... Hopefully many years hence when I am retired and can deal with it with time to spare...

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #15  
I split a 3240 a few years ago. It’s not high tech job that requires a bunch of fancy tools but it is fairly time consuming. Getting all the hoses out of the way is the worst part of the job. Getting the 2 half’s alined and back together isn’t a lot of fun either.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #16  
Pictures I took at my dealership when I brought my L5740 in to have the leaking FWD shaft seal replaced. These pics are of another customer's L5740 in for the same repair. Overall shot showing the split. Second picture shows the shaft and the seal with the problem - and why the tractor needs to be split to get at the seal. In my younger days I would have tackled the job but there are so many things that can go wrong and I am a lot more clumsy in my old age. Can visualize dropping one of the halves to the floor during the split not having overhead hoists to lift, but dealer mechanics used 2 floor jacks to move, then stands for added support once separated.

Attachments

• 2016 09 21 L5740 split d.jpg
    2016 09 21 L5740 split d.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 2016 09 21 L5740 split e.jpg
    2016 09 21 L5740 split e.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
   / My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #17  
Pictures I took at my dealership when I brought my L5740 in to have the leaking FWD shaft seal replaced. These pics are of another customer's L5740 in for the same repair. Overall shot showing the split. Second picture shows the shaft and the seal with the problem - and why the tractor needs to be split to get at the seal. In my younger days I would have tackled the job but there are so many things that can go wrong and I am a lot more clumsy in my old age. Can visualize dropping one of the halves to the floor during the split not having overhead hoists to lift, but dealer mechanics used 2 floor jacks to move, then stands for added support once separated.

The pics are very helpful. Took mine to a dealer today and dropped it off. I wish I had a shop with concrete floor that I could pull it into, but I don't. Not sure yet what the damages will be . . .

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch...
Dropped my tractor off at a Kubota dealer last week. The service manager said 20 hours, plus or minus. So that will be around $2000. I had a couple pails of SUDT2 that I left with them, at least I won't have to purchase that now.

/ My relationship with L5740 just hit a rough patch... #19  
I did a long write up on this with alot of pictures a while back, but with this new form I don't know how to get you to thread.
Found it. Splitting A Kubota GL4240HST 4WD

Last edited: