My set-up

/ My set-up #1  

Helogabals

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar SA 424
I am wondering, why U guys in USA don’t use trailers with overrun (or inertia) brakes ?

This my trailer is rated GVW 1500 kg, Neto - 1200 kg. And it handles that weight really good. When it comes to breaking there are no issues. Really like that.
And side loading is a thing.
418692D4-B3D2-40FF-BF99-DD419B67CC20_1_105_c.jpeg
8345854F-9C37-4770-9F15-9C45D4BB0A8B_1_105_c.jpeg

/ My set-up #2  
I had a single axle 5000lbs dump trailer that had what we call surge brakes. It was purchased from a rental place used.

Most rental trailers I’ve seen have surge/inertia brakes.

/ My set-up #6  
If you want to back a trailer with surge/inertia brakes up an incline, you have to engage a lockout so the brakes don't apply when you push it back.

/ My set-up #7  
Surge brakes are pretty common over here on boat trailers and rental trailers. That seems to be about the existent of their use.

/ My set-up
here are 2 big producers of trailer components - Knott and Al-ko. I mean they offer the same quality products. Those brakes are installed in all trailers of all EU, from Norway to Italy, from Latvia to Portugal.
I have driven a lot with that trailer, also on quite challenging roads. Have never had any issues.
That mechanism is universal, simple and raelible. To me your hydraulic and electric solutions looks like over-engineering. I am wondering, why to use such complex things if simple mechanical solution does the job. You are saying electric solution is better on slippery roads. I cant see how. :)

/ My set-up #9  
If you want to back a trailer with surge/inertia brakes up an incline, you have to engage a lockout so the brakes don't apply when you push it back.
Not true on the inertia brakes used over here in Europe. It will actually disengage automatically once you start backing up.

/ My set-up #10  
here are 2 big producers of trailer components - Knott and Al-ko. I mean they offer the same quality products. Those brakes are installed in all trailers of all EU, from Norway to Italy, from Latvia to Portugal.
I have driven a lot with that trailer, also on quite challenging roads. Have never had any issues.
That mechanism is universal, simple and raelible. To me your hydraulic and electric solutions looks like over-engineering. I am wondering, why to use such complex things if simple mechanical solution does the job. You are saying electric solution is better on slippery roads. I cant see how. :)

I've never had any issues either. I do drive up and down a mountain quite frequently with no issues either.

I don't necessarily think their brake solutions are over engineered because they also can pull a lot more weight than us, so I would definitely want something more than inertia brakes if I were to tow the kind of weights they do. We're pretty much limited to 3500 kgs (7700lbs) grow trailer weight with our every day cars or pick up trucks, without getting into heavy duty trucks with tachographs/e-logs, etc.

I do like the fact that our trailers come with something as simple as a parking brake. Definitely nice to have and prevents all those trailer run away videos we see on the internet and all of that rocking motion when loading equipment going straight to the drivetrain.

IMG_20210319_103545.jpg
IMG_20210515_191004 (2).jpg