My TV has died.

/ My TV has died. #1  

Mace Canute

Elite Member
We had a power outage here tonight and now my TV (a Curtis Mathes) won't power up any more. It's over 25 years old now so I guess it hasn't done too bad. Quite some time ago it made a strange noise, kind of a loud short bloop, and then the remote failed to work after that so I was forced to use the VCR as a tuner. Naturally a lot of the features on it were accessed on screen with the remote. It wasn't in the healthiest of states either, a picture of a globe on it was very triangularly shaped and what had been the top half of the screen had dropped down so that it took up about 2/3 of the screen. That happened so gradually I became used to it! :laughing:

Now I have a real reason to get a bigger one! :) :thumbsup:

/ My TV has died. #2  
Are you joking? The "last television set made in America" and you still had one? OK, here's the deal: Curtis Mathes went out of business years ago so your choices are Japanese (even they outsource a bunch of components to China), Korean (LG same company as LS tractors), or Chinese. Believe it or not, my 72" LED, Chinese TV uses less power and puts out far less heat than your 25" CM. Win-win. I have all my expensive gear on UPS, but a few weeks ago the 32" LCD Visio in the guest house was zapped by lightning. Got a 40", LED, Sceptre from Walmart.com for $229 and as an electronics guy, I'm very impressed with it. You'll love HDTV BTW/

/ My TV has died. #3  
Dang, I hope my 25 year old JVC tube TV isn't next. Before that it was a Sony the wife had to get up and change the channels on.

I don't know that I would notice if the JVC died, unless the wife said something. I know a couple of things about TV. The first is that Monday night football is on Monday night. The second is that Andy Rooney is on 60 Minutes is on Sunday night. That is as much as I know about TV.

/ My TV has died. #4  
Dang, I hope my 25 year old JVC tube TV isn't next. Before that it was a Sony the wife had to get up and change the channels on.

I don't know that I would notice if the JVC died, unless the wife said something. I know a couple of things about TV. The first is that Monday night football is on Monday night. The second is that Andy Rooney is on 60 Minutes is on Sunday night. That is as much as I know about TV.
Believe it or not, assuming your TV is on the same amount of time as most Americans, you'll save enough in electric consumption to pay for your new LED TV in 3 years or less. I emphasized LED vs "LCD" because there is a marked difference in power consumption. An LCD TV actually uses fluorescent tubes for illumination.

/ My TV has died. #5  
My folks have only had 3 TV sets going back to the 1950's...

First was a Hand Me Down Philco with the revolving picture tube.

Next was a Zenith Color when only cartoons were in color... quite a big deal as word got out my folks had a color set... very unlike them to be an early adopter... folks from all around were dropping in to see the picture.

Current set is a 1980 made in USA Zenith color console that has not missed a beat... 35 years and going strong!

I have a very nice Toshiba my neighbor was getting rid of... had one of those new flat screens... my new to my Toshiba has been flawless with picture in picture... and many input and output jacks...

Here is the kicker... the neighbor that gave me the Toshiba is on her third flat screen... guess they have not got the bugs worked out... first time was under warranty.

I also bought a flat screen for the cabin and it lasted 2 years... very disappointed.

Guess this is why I still have Win 98 and a rotary phone!!!

/ My TV has died. #6  
I cannot believe you guys? Do you understand what I am saying? My family owned a TV shop in the 60's and 70's. Televisions are one of the FEW consumer appliances that have actually decreased in price EVEN after adjusting for inflation. Example: In 1970 the average price for a 25" color set was $499! Do you realize how much HIGH DEFINITION, wide screen TV you can get for $500 today? $500 in 1970 was equivalent to $1500 now. Sorry, but I just can't see anyone still viewing 420 TVL interlaced NTSC sets when you can get a bigger 1080P flat screen for less than $300 and be saving electricity in the process.

/ My TV has died. #7  
Mom is 81 and likes what she likes...

She gets easily confused with too many buttons to push... when the grandkids come over... they have to work the VCR because Mom forgot how to do it... it's a Zenith too so the same simple remote works both.

Besides... with a flat screen... there would be no place for the VCR.

But really... having had bad luck with my only flat and none of my neighbors still have their first flats... cheaper to buy new than fix...

Count me as one that never signed on to the throw away society...

Your are right... the Zenith Console and VCR with tax was more than a $1000... at least she is getting her moneys worth...

PS... friends in Germany had made some Youtube videos Mom wanted to see... so I hooked her 1980 TV to the Acer Laptop so all could watch... and they said it could not be done... also used the neighbor's WiFi to access... isn't technology amazing?

As to electricity... she is consistant at 360 kWh each month... summer/winter makes no difference.

/ My TV has died. #8  
Here's the thing: Yes the first, so-called, flat-screen sets were LCD and if you know about fluorescent tubes and how long they last, coupled with the fact that fluorescent lighting is susceptible to power surges, then perhaps that could account for the failure rates you describe. Now think in terms of LED's and how little power they consume AND how incredibly long they can last. BTW, how's that ACER (LED screen) holding up?

/ My TV has died. #9  
Needed a laptop for a business trip in 2010.... the only time I have every shopped at Walmart was to pick this one up for $199 in a back to school special...

It did have to go back once... it was only 3 weeks old... since then... zero issues!

I manage rentals and have been stuck disposing of TVs, Projection TV's and Flat Screens that people leave behind... what a pain although much easier now!

Same for those entertainment centers that were the rage about 20+ years ago...

Probably jaded at seeing the new must have in electronics being kicked to the curb after a few years...

Anybody need a VCR??? had a rash of them a while back again left behind when people move.

Three computers since 1980 for me... and you are right... cheaper all the time!!!

/ My TV has died. #10  
My wife and I purchased a really nice RCA 25" console color TV with stereo in 1983 for $850. As newely weds we were so proud of that TV. Fast forward 30 later we purchased a 50" flat screen high def for $298 on black Friday. Technology and competition has transformed the electronics industry.