My wife is divorcing me over coyotes

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #101  
As my old friend and fellow restauteur Matt Martinez use to say "When the holocaust comes only 3 things will survive....coyotes, cockroaches, and Restauteurs."

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #102  
Build a good tight peremiter net fence around your property with two barb wire runners at the bottom. Make sure there are no holes or dips along the bottom of the fence line also. where you have gates make sure there is not enough room for a coyote or dog to squeeze through the gap.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #103  
Just FYI - looks like this post was revived after being idle for 4 years.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #104  
If was funny to read this post. They mentioned Anatolian Shepherd or Great Pyrneess. I have them both. Great dogs at scaring off the coyotes. No great dog if a porcupine walks into the back yard. ( $800 later). I'm looking for exploding shotgun shells. We had them many years ago. They just go thump, when you shoot them and few seconds later sounds like a block buster going off.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #105  
a friend of mine puts out snares over bait.Snares 50 to 60 a year.Snares are simple to make .some small cable and a snare lock.You can buy everything on line

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #106  
Bingo Eddie,

When I was a kid in KY we had 2-3 people killed by ferel dogs. I think they were adults as well. A timber agent I worked with said he was treed by a pack of ferel dogs one day. He as trapped in the tree for hours before they left and he felt save enough to climb down and get.

Later,
Dan

I survived a wild dog pack attack in Northern Wisconsin in 1979. It's one of the few (maybe the ONLY) thing that has hapened to me in my entire life that I remember in vivid detail (and I've got 27 years in law enforcement).

I survived by killing one dog with a big piece of firewood. I was pretty torn up physically but the emotions of the incident linger to this day.

Wild dogs in the field do not act like pet dogs and will not/cannot be mistaken for runaway/loose pets.

Jim

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #107  
If was funny to read this post. They mentioned Anatolian Shepherd or Great Pyrneess. I have them both. Great dogs at scaring off the coyotes. No great dog if a porcupine walks into the back yard. ( $800 later). I'm looking for exploding shotgun shells. We had them many years ago. They just go thump, when you shoot them and few seconds later sounds like a block buster going off.

I think Donkey's and Mules will do the same....

-Jer.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #108  
I survived a wild dog pack attack in Northern Wisconsin in 1979. It's one of the few (maybe the ONLY) thing that has hapened to me in my entire life that I remember in vivid detail (and I've got 27 years in law enforcement).

I survived by killing one dog with a big piece of firewood. I was pretty torn up physically but the emotions of the incident linger to this day.

Wild dogs in the field do not act like pet dogs and will not/cannot be mistaken for runaway/loose pets.

Jim

That's terrible Jim. I've treated, and met, a few bear attack survivors up here. It changes you, even just a little bit.....

-Jer.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #109  
If anyone does it, let me know how the night vision scope works out, and what it cost.

-Jer.

/ My wife is divorcing me over coyotes #110  
If anyone does it, let me know how the night vision scope works out, and what it cost.

-Jer.

The real thing runs $2-3K (or more).

You can homebrew a cheap equivilant using a a cheap ($100-200 or so) nightvision viewer w/infrared illuminator (I got a gen 1 nightowl monocular at costco for about $120 a few years ago) & a cheap ($40 or so) red laser & rifle mount (barrel or rail mount).

The red dot shows up extremely well (easily seen at 75 yards) in a run of the mill infrared night vision monocular. The homebrew part is getting the viewer mounted to a weaver or picatinny rail in a usable fashion. Set the laser to point to impact point at your desired distance during normal daylight shooting. You don't have to "zero" the viewer when you mount it; it just has to point close enough to let you see the laser's dot. Not tactical stealthy with a visible laser, but should work OK for varmint work.

disclaimer: I have not set up something like this myself & therefore cannot claim personal experience ... I've just played with the idea in the past & thought it might be doable.

Nick

Last edited: