My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped

/ My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped #1  

psu1972

Tractor
XT1-LT 42 KH
Hi all, this is my first post. My XT-1 is 5 years old. I was having trouble starting the unit as I think the battery was near the end of its life. After a few tries of clicking, the tractor would start. It ran fine until I was done. (about an hour) This same scenario happened the last 3 or four times of cutting grass. I was expecting to get a new battery this week. Today, went through the same procedure, it started and I got the grass cut. As I was heading back to the storage shed, the tractor stopped dead. Key turn got nothing. Tried several times and still nothing. Attached my jumper and still got zilch. After looking at things, I realized the battery has a fuse. Checked it out and it was blown. Luckily, I have several more. Put in a new fuse, attempted to start and got nothing. Checked fuse and it was also blown. Put in a higher rated fuse just to see what would happen. It didn't blow but got warm and discolored. Obviously a short somewhere and I have no idea where to start. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

/ My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped #2  
Welcome. The proper model and year from under the seat could be helpful. There is probably lots of help on the web on locating a short. The obvious thing is to look for visible wire damage, then you could unplug the connectors that you can easily get to, plugging them in one at a time seeing what pops the fuse. Start with the engine harness, and the head lights. The voltage regulator or anti back fire solenoid would be the first go to's if the engine harness pops the fuse.

/ My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped
Thanks. I put this message out to a couple Cub Cadet forums, and most suggested checking wires for damage and possible shorts from the wires or connectors. Two posters identified the battery itself was the culprit. First hooked up my jump starter, new fuse, and placed mower to the on position. Meter gave the voltage and hour readings. A good sign. Tried to start for a brief test. Fired up. Installed a new battery and all is good.

/ My XT1-LT 42 KH just stopped #4  
Thanks. I put this message out to a couple Cub Cadet forums, and most suggested checking wires for damage and possible shorts from the wires or connectors. Two posters identified the battery itself was the culprit. First hooked up my jump starter, new fuse, and placed mower to the on position. Meter gave the voltage and hour readings. A good sign. Tried to start for a brief test. Fired up. Installed a new battery and all is good.

Hum - hard to believe that a bad battery would cause a fuse to blow. I guess if the fuse was from the alternator to the battery and the battery drew more current than normal, it could happen, but I doubt it.