Mystery Object - What Is It?

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #11  
The torch idea makes more sense, especially looking at the bottom. Remove pipe plug and pour fuel into funnel shaped bottom, then replace plug to use.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #12  
Look up some photos of them. Instead of 'torch' use the word 'flare' and there are a bunch of photos of them. They show wicking material at the top.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It?
Polo, good hunting.
Well, looks like it's identical to the one I have, except that mine looks unused.
Railroad torch, huh? Kind of interesting that mine has no identification or manufacturer's marks anywhere on it. Usually anything a railroad owns has it's name stamped on it.
I guess you put a wick in it and fill it with fuel through the hole in the bottom, or just pull the wick out, fill it, and put the wick back in.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #14  
I can't really take credit. When you posted it I had a hard time going with the humidor, so I posted your pictures and description on a metal detecting forum I frequent. They have a section called "what is it" and the guys there are really outstanding researchers. I would have posted a link to this thread, but they frown on links to other forums.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #15  
It does have the looks of a home made pipe-gun or slap-gun or pop-gun. Take measurement of the inside diameter and compare that to certain ammo size that would fit. That rivet in the center would have the action to fire a center-fire cartridge.

Pipe-guns are not illegal to make, nor strictly controlled. There is no firing mechanism that is heavily regulated either. typically they are single shot devices, but the advantage is a fast reload.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It?
It does have the looks of a home made pipe-gun or slap-gun or pop-gun. Take measurement of the inside diameter and compare that to certain ammo size that would fit. That rivet in the center would have the action to fire a center-fire cartridge.

Pipe-guns are not illegal to make, nor strictly controlled. There is no firing mechanism that is heavily regulated either. typically they are single shot devices, but the advantage is a fast reload.

There's no way it could be something like that. First off, it's made of brass, and there's no way to load any kind of ammo in it, as it's all one piece. If you did get some knind of cartridge in it and were able to fire it, there would be a very loud and unpleasant result.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #17  
There's no way it could be something like that. First off, it's made of brass, and there's no way to load any kind of ammo in it, as it's all one piece. If you did get some knind of cartridge in it and were able to fire it, there would be a very loud and unpleasant result.
Plus, what caliber is that thing if you measure it? 60+?

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #18  
I can't really take credit. When you posted it I had a hard time going with the humidor, so I posted your pictures and description on a metal detecting forum I frequent. They have a section called "what is it" and the guys there are really outstanding researchers. I would have posted a link to this thread, but they frown on links to other forums.
Mr. Polo1665, is it possible to list the forum you speak of? It's an area of interest for me and would enjoy knowing of an active group.

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #19  
Mr. Polo1665, is it possible to list the forum you speak of? It's an area of interest for me and would enjoy knowing of an active group.
PM sent

/ Mystery Object - What Is It? #20  
This container, for lack of a better description, was found in my fathers effects after he passed a few years ago. I remember it setting on his desk a long time ago, but never knew what it was. I still don't know what it is. I've shown it to many of my friends, some my father's age, and no one has a clue what it is.
It's about a foot tall, made of brass, the top screws on, it has a slotted 1/8" pipe plug in the botton, and it has a perforated baffle(?) extending a couple of inches into the central body. It has a sort of simulated leather finish on the main body.

If you know what it is, or what it was used for, leave a post.
Is the pipe plug in the bottom tapered?