Name Brand on tools

/ Name Brand on tools #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
What tools are worth paying extra to buy the name brand? I can think of several but the one that stands out the most is a Nicholson File. The flat b. file by Nicholson is on another level when compared to files bought at HF or any other retailer. If I am taking the time to use a flat file I want one that will make a difference. The Nicholson file is substantially harder than other files and cuts better.

Name just one tool and let us know why.

/ Name Brand on tools #4  
I know the big three tool trucks have the same tools you can get at a brick-n-mortar "premier industrial supplier" under different name.

/ Name Brand on tools
I know the big three tool trucks have the same tools you can get at a brick-n-mortar "premier industrial supplier" under different name.
First hand, when they were made in the USA, I know that Craftsman, Kobalt, and NAPA sockets were the exact same product except for the name stamping. Depending on size some MATCO sockets were also the same. The sockets went through the same forming, heat treatment, and plating process.

/ Name Brand on tools #6  
I've never got into the tool truck thing. When we used to still have Sears stores I always bought Craftsman tools and now still just buy Canadian Tire Mastercraft tools.

Both are good quality and both stores had free replacement. Only difference is instead of the over priced tool truck coming to your shop, you had to go to the store yourself.

/ Name Brand on tools #7  
I just bought a Nicholson 14 " mill bastard file.........It looks "good" but was made in Brazil....if that makes any differance.

/ Name Brand on tools #8  
I just bought a Nicholson 14 " mill bastard file.........It looks "good" but was made in Brazil....if that makes any differance.
I have nicholson mill bastard files that I bought new back 50 years ago and they are still fine. I have used them often - but mostly on brass and bronze. If I use them on steel it has to be mild steel & carefully.

Just found some more in a used store and they seem as good.

/ Name Brand on tools #9  
My 30 year old craftsman tools still work great (only broke a couple over the years). I do prefer SnapOn. But, when I buy SnapOn, I buy used on eBay from newly retired mechanics. Save a ton of money that way.

Mike

/ Name Brand on tools #10  
I always bought Craftsman tools way back, life time transferable guarantee. But now Craftsman is sold at Lowes and are made in China. Snap on is too dang expensive for what I do. Klein tools are good, I think Proto makes good tools. Years back I would buy broken Craftsman tools and take them to Sears for a new one, no questions asked. The new Craftsman tool boxes are now crap, my old ones will last the rest of my life.