Narrow row corn

/ Narrow row corn #1  

smstonypoint

Tractor
NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw ZTR
Based on my windshield surveys of this year's corn crop, narrow row planting is dominating in my area (western Iredell County, NC). My surveys are of a limited scope, with the most of the land being owned or leased by a few large-scale farmers.

Are you seeing much of a switch to narrow rows in your area?

Steve

/ Narrow row corn #2  
I haven't seen any around here. I see more and more 36 row planters though. 90 foot per pass, Wow!

/ Narrow row corn #3  
Typical row spacing for corn is 30", some planters are setup at 20", most of the corn heads for harvesters are set for 30 " rows as well. Some planters have Twin Rows which the pair are 7.5" set on 30", and split rows which are based on 15" spacing and used for soybeans and every other row for corn.

Dave

/ Narrow row corn #4  
Based on my windshield surveys of this year's corn crop, narrow row planting is dominating in my area (western Iredell County, NC). My surveys are of a limited scope, with the most of the land being owned or leased by a few large-scale farmers.

Steve

30" rows are the norm around here on the rich black Kokomo topsoil. There was a stampede to narrow 20" rows for corn a number of years back but the results and yields were not as expected and today you rarely see a narrow row. It's all 30" corn and 15" beans.

/ Narrow row corn #5  

Steve

The corn just came up about a week ago around here. Looks the same to me, but I've never measured. I'll take a closer look. Interesting.

/ Narrow row corn
The corn just came up about a week ago around here. Looks the same to me, but I've never measured. I'll take a closer look. Interesting.

I saw the first tassels of this year's corn crop today.

Steve

/ Narrow row corn #7  
Just got back a week ago from a long drive and never saw any narrow row corn. 30" was all I saw. We came through Montana, the Dakotas, Iowa, and Illinois. I do know of one dairy farmer close to me that is trying narrow rows for silage corn (15") but he is also planting 48,000 population (per acre) which is extremely high even for around here. He does have water on it.

/ Narrow row corn #8  
At one time, 30" was considered narrow.

The farmer that farms around me does beans at 7.5" spacing with his drill.

Heard of others that broadcast and cultipack also

/ Narrow row corn #9  
At one time, 30" was considered narrow.

The farmer that farms around me does beans at 7.5" spacing with his drill.

Heard of others that broadcast and cultipack also

yeah but the old 36 and 40" rows are long gone as are less than five figure plant populations.

/ Narrow row corn #10  
My nephew planted a 15" row test plot, so we'll know more after harvest. From what I've read, there may be two advantages. First, a wider canopy should reduce weed germination; second, the canopy should reduce soil temperatures which will conserve moisture.

I asked him how he was planning to harvest the 15" rows, given that our corn head is 30"! He tells me he'll figure something out........stay tuned.