Narrowed It Down To Mule 610

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
So I've been looking to replace one of our atv's with a UTV. After measuring a lot of the trails I've made to ride on, there's just no way the larger UTV's will fit without some serious chain sawing. Plus the 52" width of the 610 Mule will fit in my '04 Tundra. I wish there were more choices of 50-52" UTV's. I read here that Kubota may have one but not for a year. Darn.
The negative that I've heard on the 610's is that the brakes take a lot of effort (I hope I can somehow improve it) and of course the 25mph top speed which shouldn't be an issue for me the way it'll be used. Around here the '07's are pretty much gone and the '08's are just trickling in. I must say I've not been too sucessful finding a great deal yet.

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #2  
What about a RZR how big are those ?

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610
You're right, the RZR is 50" but to be honest I didn't seriously consider it. It is much more of a high performance utv than I would be able to take advantage of. And not as convenient to work with; smaller bed and more awkward when repeatedly needing to get on and off.
It looks like an awsome machine, I'd love to play, I mean test drive, one somewhere for an afternoon!

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #4  
The question is, are you in a bind for a utv. Reason being, the small wait for a Kubota 500 will be worth the wait, and from some good sources, it's not going to be a year, it will be in 2008 spring - summer >>>>>>

I know it's going to have the RTV transmission, 51-52" wide & 72" tall
And of couse, it's going to have the Kubota quality, same as the 900 & 1100 series units >>>>> The smaller version RTV is gas, EFI engine.

If the RTV 500 is just half the unit that the other RTV's Kubota produces,
it's going to be one heck of a machine. Just in a smaller package !!!!!!

In situations like this, the wait will be WORTH it for sure >>>>>>> :cool:

TWO GUNS said:
The question is, are you in a bind for a utv. Reason being, the small wait for a Kubota 500 will be worth the wait, and from some good sources, it's not going to be a year, it will be in 2008 spring - summer >>>>>>

I know it's going to have the RTV transmission, 51-52" wide & 72" tall
And of couse, it's going to have the Kubota quality, same as the 900 & 1100 series units >>>>> The smaller version RTV is gas, EFI engine.

If the RTV 500 is just half the unit that the other RTV's Kubota produces,
it's going to be one heck of a machine. Just in a smaller package !!!!!!

In situations like this, the wait will be WORTH it for sure >>>>>>> :cool:

This is not what I need to hear now! :) But thanks! So here I am with money burning a hole in my pocket and not willing to wait a year even for the new Kubota. (I love my B7500) Now you say I just have to wait 3/4 year.
What I think I may do is still buy the 610 in order to have the use of it. That is *if* I can land a decent deal, say $6,200-$6,300 (there's no sales tax here). Then I could sell it in a year and get the Kubota with out losing too much.

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #6  
Milo said:
This is not what I need to hear now! :) But thanks! So here I am with money burning a hole in my pocket and not willing to wait a year even for the new Kubota. (I love my B7500) Now you say I just have to wait 3/4 year.
What I think I may do is still buy the 610 in order to have the use of it. That is *if* I can land a decent deal, say $6,200-$6,300 (there's no sales tax here). Then I could sell it in a year and get the Kubota with out losing too much.

I'm sure the Kubota will be a heck of a machine, but don't discount the 610. I've had mine for two years and it has been competely reliable. I use it to trail ride, deer hunt, plow snow, spread salt, and drive it all over our little village with not law enforcement hassles at all. I've pulled a grain wagon with 65 bushels of corn and had no problems. In addition, I used it with a Swisher Trail 60 finish mower to mow my yard until August when I bought a used ZTR mower. In my trail riding, it has always gone where I've asked it to go and much of my trail riding is done in the rugged country of eastern Kentucky. As for price, I paid 6299 +tax for mine. One place where you can read about what others think of the 610 is here: RUV - Recreational Utility Vehicles - UtilityOffRoad.com

They have a Mule specific discussion board there as well as boards for the RTV, Rhino, JD Gator, Polaris, etc.

The 610 is about 14 hp, and weighs 980lbs. If the Kubota is 15.8 hp and weighs like other Kubotas (read that heavy), then the hp difference will be pretty much a wash.

Don Williams a.k.a. Librarian

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #7  
The new Kubota weighs 1278 lbs. Kub about 80 lbs per hp Mule about 70 lbs per hp. I suspect the hydrostatic trans in the Kub may also be less efficient but I don't know that for sure.

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #8  
Skyco said:
The new Kubota weighs 1278 lbs. Kub about 80 lbs per hp Mule about 70 lbs per hp. I suspect the hydrostatic trans in the Kub may also be less efficient but I don't know that for sure.

The Mule 610 has 13hp so they are bascially a wash in power to weight. The 610 is a great machine, and the RTV500 will be worth looking at come next summer...when you can trade-in the 610 for a RTV500 (that's what my grandpa and I plan to do). :)

/ Narrowed It Down To Mule 610 #9  
I have a Rhino and it has been a great machine around the farm and especially plowing my 2.5 mile driveway in the winter but i think i am going to replace it with one of these. They are HALF the price of a Rhino, are the same width and already have a cab and a heater. They also have a 6 ft bed for hauling in the firewood and the sides fold down for bigger loads.
Something to consider.....

MiniTruckDSC00881.jpg

Thanks Librarian, Skyco, and Ricochet,
Right now the 2007 610's are pretty scarce and the 2008's are "a way's off" according to a couple dealers. I'm still determined to find one for $6300 or wait for the RTV 500. My *only* concern with the Mule 610 is the brakes. I've heard many complain you almost have to stand on them to slow down. I don't have much ground that is level so high effort brakes would be a problem. That would be a non issue for the hydro RTV 500.
Has anyone done any mods to the 610 to make the brakes effective crawling down steep terrain? Or are the brakes as bad as some say? I've not had the opportunity to even ride one.