Narrowing down first tractor options

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #11  
Yeah I'm leaning towards a cut size machine just to help with traction. And it will definitley be 4wd with the fel as id like to have the grapple with it to help with downed trees and brush.

A grapple can make a tractor unstable on slopes. However, while your mowing area is steep, you have not described the balance of your wooded land.

Consider a spring-protected Field Cultivator/All Purpose Plow for dragging roots out of the ground then transporting large amounts of piled, interlocked material to your burn pit. The Three Point Hitch is built for heavy work with weight bearing on the thick, solid rear axle. The FEL is not. Loads are dragged on the ground with a Field Cultivator.

LINKS (2):

3-Point All Purpose Chisel Plows

Iowa Farm Equipment -- Tillage Equipment

Attachments

• DSC00118.JPG
    DSC00118.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 74
  • DSC00059.JPG
    DSC00059.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 73
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • DSC00377.jpg
    DSC00377.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • DSC00358.jpg
    DSC00358.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC00357.jpg
    DSC00357.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • DSC00349.jpg
    DSC00349.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
   / Narrowing down first tractor options #12  
You will want a large lopper on your tractor. I secure my lopper with a "GearTie" Loopable Twist Tie which I purchased at Home Depot.

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 84
   / Narrowing down first tractor options #13  
What size tractor would be best? I was thinking something in the 30hp Range around 2500lbs. But then I saw what the rk24 can do and thought maybe that would be all I needed and I'd have the maneuverability of the smaller tractor for the trail maintenance. Thoughts and opinions?

Some tractors have adjustable rear wheel spreads, some economy models do not. To increase stability on slopes, spreading the rear wheels and "loading" the rear tires 50% to 75% with liquid are two options to reduce potential of tractor rollover on slopes.

Afermarket, third party wheel spacers can be added but better wheel spreads adjust as part of the tractor design.

If you stay below 25-horsepower your tractor will be about $2,000 cheaper because Tier 4 emissions equipment is not required below that threshold.

Weight is your friend on slopes.

Your will need minimum 12" ground clearance for woods work. Wheel/tire selection will effect ground clearance.

Last edited:
   / Narrowing down first tractor options
Either machine would work well for you. Be sure to drive them around and use the loader before you make a decision. Just sitting in the seat isn’t enough.

You will hear horror stories about the LS xg machines leaking oil. They had a problem where the engine mounts didn’t fit correctly, and when the loader was used, it would cause the oil pan to leak at the front.
They were recalled and fixed. New machines don’t have the problem.
I definitely plan on making some test drives before i purchase. Just waiting till I have it narrowed down a bit more.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil leaks I had not heard of that one yet. I'll be sure to check eveyrthing over really well when I do decide to test drive them!

/ Narrowing down first tractor options
Thanks for the tips Jeff! I really like the field cultivator idea. I'll have to really start looking into those now too

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #16  
   / Narrowing down first tractor options #17  
I've been maintaining trails through our and 2 neighbors' woods for about 14 years with a JD 4010 (would be a 2019E by today's naming), JD 1025R and now a JD 2025R. The 1025R was a mistake and was a lemon; had just shy of 2 years. Should have gotten the 2025R when the 4010 driveshaft Ujoint blew apart at 9 years and 660 hours instead of the 1025R.

I run the 2025R with the ROPS always folded, as I did the 1025R. Otherwise too high for in the woods and I'll forget and rip my garage door area to ****. The 4010's was fixed at just below garage door height: ideal but still a tad tall for woods work.

Definitely need 4wd on hills and FEL and preferably 2 side brakes for your snow handling (one of the mistakes with the 1025R). I'd mow the 1/2 area with a self propelled walk behind. That's about what we have around the house. Got an old JD 14SB and a Honda plus a 40v Kobalt for tight spots.

Ralph

/ Narrowing down first tractor options #18  
hard decision to make. Bigger is almost always better. My LS XR4150 with grapple does a great job for some things. Tires are weighted. Moving logs on hill sides, no so good. Loading logs on trailer, great. My son's 26hp Mahindra is great for going between trees. It is not so heavy to destroy the grass in the yard. It will not clear land but mows great. Don't expect to move much dirt or snow without weighted tires or more. I use a JD 450h dozer to clear the timber. You will have to decide based on what you need.
On keeping paths clear, I walk down with a pole saw once a year and cut everything above the tractor. Than come back and push to the side. I mostly do not burn. New paths for you will be harder, as you have to cut and make a path your tractor can handle. I always want a path twice as wide as my tractor.