Narrowing it Down Even Further

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #1  

Hook

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3010
Thanks to all for your recent advice/suggestions.

Based on your input, I will definitely be going larger than a BX2200 & larger than the B7500/TC21D range.

I've now narrowed it down to the following choices:
- Kubota B2710
- NH TC29D
- JD 4200

They look pretty equivalent to me & it looks like I can get the implements I want on any of them.

Given this, I'm thinking that I will make the final decision based on price.

Anything wrong with this way of approaching the situation?

Hook

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #2  
Hook -

Looks as though you've got a nice list of choices. I'm sure you won't regret going up a step in size. I recently bought a NH TC33D, and love it. It's basically the same as the 29D you are considering but with a slightly larger engine. Quoted price was only $1000 higher than the 29D, so I convinced myself I "might need it someday".

One thought on your shopping strategy: I'd consider closely the dealer reputation for service, and check out their service dept. That can make a much bigger difference than a few hundred (or even a thousand+) dollars in the long run. A good source of info is to find a few customers in the service dept and see how they feel. I bought from a dealer that was only a 20 minute drive away. I could have saved $500+ from a guy a few hours away, but the local guy had a great service dept, while the other had a bare bones dept. (and was too far to be convenient).

Let us know what prices you are seeing for your choices (and what part of the country you are in).

John

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #3  
Now that you have it narrowed down, go get some seat time on each one and talk to the dealers. Remember, purchasing a tractor is just the start of the relationship with your dealer. You will be back many times for service, parts, additional implements, etc. His attitude should be good in the beginning and just get better as you do more business with him. In the long run, dealer relationship is far more important than a few hundred dollars.

JimI

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #4  
Take the advice and put each of them through the paces. I'd suggest you check out on each:
1) Hydro smoothness of operation. Go forward then let up on pedal. Try the reverse pedal. Does this all seem to be to your liking or too abrupt. How are the pedals located.
2) How's the hydro unit noise. Does it seem excessive to you. Annoying.
3) Are all the controls located easy to use.
4) Does the range selector work easily or difficult to get back in gear.
5) Is there plenty of room for you on the deck and is the seat and steering wheel adjustable to your liking.
6) Are all the maintenance and fluid fill and drain points easy to get at.
7) What is the setup for attaching implements. Some now have lower links that are very user-friendly and flexible for hook-up.
8) Does the dashboard have all the information you think you need, especially things like temperature and oil pressure.

These are just a few, and depending on whether you are looking for one with a FEL, there could be many more. Hope this helps.

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #5  
I agree with previous posts concerning the relationship with the dealer where you buy it from...

It's a major purchase and you most likely will be dealing with them again (routine servicing, unexpected servicing, additional attachments, etc...).

Also, get as much as you can in your original package..it's cheaper than buying single items later on.

And finally, make sure it's comfortable to sit in/on as you'll be spending many hrs in the seat.

Bill

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #6  
I have to agree with the others on the importance of the dealer and the service dept.
While you are looking at the TC29D, take a look at the deluxe 3 point. I have it on my TC29D and it is alot easier to hook up those implements, saves time too. I highly recommend it. I don't know if the other two have anything like it.

Ernie

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further #7  
Howdy!

I only recently acquired my TC29D, and I, too, debated between Orange and Green. To be honest, though, there aren't too many Orange fans around here, so those kind of fell out of favor for me as I was looking.

Basically, when it came down to features and price, the NH was a better buy than the JD. Now, the JD is a direct-injected engine, which is a more efficient diesel, and that gave me a bit of pause in the whole debate. But it was much louder and vibrated a good deal more than the NH, and in the end the NH was simply cheaper. All else being pretty equal, choice made.

As for the TC29D, I'm quite impressed with what this little tractor can do. Truth be told, it works much harder on my 3 acres than on my 58 acres where it simply mows [and goes like the wind at that]. I've got alot of loader work here on the 3 acres, with super rocky soil and a constant, sloping grade, & she's always "sweating" her way around.

Basically, I've found the engine & drivetrain to exceed the limits of traction more than anything else. I use Range I most of the time, and can easily spin all four tires when the loader hooks a decent size rock. That tells me that I've got more than enough power & not enough weight/traction to put it to the ground. Outside of some large jobs, I can't see where I would need anything bigger, and for those cases, I can grab tractors from out on the farm.

The 33D was only $500 more from my dealer, but I didn't think I'd need the extra power. Turns out I was right! My dealer says he sells more 29D's than anything else as it's the best mix of power & chassis for the "compact tractor" niche. I tend to agree.

I know this doesn't provide any real answers for your decision, but I thought I would relay my experience, nonetheless. Try 'em all out & see which one fits you & your pocketbook best.

Best Regards,
Jay

PS -- If you've got tight quarters, like I do amongst the trees, SuperSteer is one of the nicest things you'll ever deal with. Especially when swinging around the loader. Well worth the price of admission...

/ Narrowing it Down Even Further
Poster: Diesel_Jay
Subject: Re: Narrowing it Down Even Further

> I only recently acquired my TC29D, and I, too, debated
> . . .

How much did you pay for the 29D?

> I know this doesn't provide any real answers for your
> decision, but I thought I would relay my experience,
> nonetheless. Try 'em all out & see which one fits you & your
> pocketbook best.

Thanks for the info. I rode the Kubota B2910 today. Tomorrow I hope to try out the TC29D & maybe a JD 4200.

> PS -- If you've got tight quarters, like I do amongst the
> trees, SuperSteer is one of the nicest things you'll ever
> deal with. Especially when swinging around the loader. Well
> worth the price of admission...

This is also very helpful to know. I have lots of tress & bushes etc on about 1/2 of the acreage I have to mow. I was wondering if the supersteer helped.