Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator?

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #1  

Travelover

Elite Member
Tractor
B7100
I just bought a house that has a natural gas line. I'd like to get a portable generator that runs on natural gas because it doesn't get stale and it is an endless supply, unless the "stuff" totally hits the fan.

There are lots of dual fuel portable generators available but the second fuel in propane. Most permanently installed generators are natural gas, but overkill for my needs.

So my question is can a generator set up for propane be reconfigured to burn natural gas relatively easily?

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #2  
Yes, it is easy... just a 'kit' to change the valve/jet. Even Walmart sells the kits.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #4  
Allow for that 10,000 watt generator to loose power and only make about 6600watts at wide open throttle on Natural Gas.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator?
Why do you need portable, and why is a permanent unit overkill? I'm not sure, but I think if you intend to tap into the utility NG line, you will be required to have a permanent connection. You can get a permanent Generac unit that supplies 120/240 @ 6KW on NG. It's fairly cheap and comes with a transfer switch that you should consider anyways.

Whatever you do, check that your NG line is large enough to supply a generator. Other things to consider:

1) Anything under 4-5KW is a little small for home emergency needs.
2) Electric start - think cold weather, old age and bad shoulder some day.
Good questions. It would be handy to be able to take it to other parts of my property and run it on gasoline and have a snap on hose connector for use on natural gas for emergencies. I was thinking I'd need about 5000 watts with 220v capability. Definitely would get electric start. That Generac 6000 watt is about $1800 plus installation. I think that a Champion portable would only be around $800 plus connectors.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator?
Yes, it is easy... just a 'kit' to change the valve/jet. Even Walmart sells the kits.
This cuts to the heart of my question. I did not find a supplier. Do you have a link?

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #9  
Yamaha Propane Natural Gas Generators

I converted my Yamaha by drilling the carb and installing a "kit" I bought. I think it was from this place. There are a few places. Its easy to do. Now I hook it to my barbecue grill line with a quick connect.
In the future, if I have more money I want to get a 6 or 8k permanent mounted whole house generator.
Right now we use the little Yamaha and an extention cord for refrigerator, freezer and wood stove fan or small window unit ac.

/ Natural Gas Powered Portable Generator? #10  
Natural gas molecular weight is 16. Propane's is 44. You could just measure what orifice diameter you have for propane and drill it out by 44/16 to get this area ratio.

Ralph