Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #11  
I am not currently in the market for a Tiller, but I like that you can change rotation direction with the tarter brand! Questions for Mr. Sweet; how difficult/ expense is it to get parts for the tarter tiller (how long have they been around)? And are the tines a standard size (if there is such a thing)? For a 6ft wide tractor what would you consider to be the min pto hp? (I know this varies with use and soil type, but I can always go shallower, or not use full width until I have loosened up the ground, but a 5ft tiller will never cover the tracks (unless offset)

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #12  
These should be fine on that tractor. If you keep you slip clutch adjusted properly, you can run on a much higher hp tractor. Ken Sweet
I am thinking that the range for HP listed is the minimum that it takes to pull the tiller + some assumptions for width of the tractors in that HP range so the tiller is as wide or almost as wide as the tractor wheels.
For instance, a 5 foot King Kutter tiller (per brochure) says 25-40 HP. I take this to mean the require HP needed to turn the tiller not necessarily the max that you can use it on. With a shear pin or slip clutch protecting the tiller, you could have 1000 HP and as soon as it gets overloaded, the pin will shear or the clutch will slip so you aren't going to hurt the tiller with more power. I think the KK website is where they tell about the HP rating on the gear box which for my 72" is 100 HP IIRC. I think the big range difference is to account for tilling in loose sand vs hard clay which would require much more HP than loose sandy soil.

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice
What about a Phoenix 10TR.....Ken, do you sell these? What are their prices?

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #16  
Initial price is not bad but for me it was almost $400 in shipping cost which put it out of competition with local prices.

Don't go by the internet shipping price. If you call them in person and start asking about the shipping you can get a cheaper rate. I ordered a 4ft KK Tiller and 5ft KK bush hog and shipping for both was about $330 ($165/per implement). Now, that was based on me being able to unload them off the back of a tractor trailer which I was able to do with my FEL.

/ Need 6' Tiller Recomendations/advice #18  
Initial price is not bad but for me it was almost $400 in shipping cost which put it out of competition with local prices.

Gary Fowler, I do not know why you would have been getting quotes around 400.00 for the shipping of a tiller from AL to AR. I would have been happy to review that shipping quote.

There is a shipping charge button on each of the product detail pages that can be used to calculate product shipping costs. Did you add the item to the shopping cart and then tried to get a shipping costs on the check out page.?

Thanks

Looks like the one I need with all the specs I want (for the most part) is the RTR2072 Landpride. Too bad its horribly expensive. Maybe I can find a better price somewhere. Most are upwards of 4k. Id like the full 8" of tilling depth for my soil.

Now, back to forward rotating tines. It seems to me those would do a FAR better job in areas that are 'weedy'. Rather than pulling UP and never getting a full chop on a long weed, a forward rotating tine would push down and chop weeds far better. Also seems that the seedbed would be the same regardless of tine rotation. ???

Last edited:
So I think I have narrowed it down. What do you guys think between these?? The most expensive is the chain drive.

I need this for gardening, food plots, and wildflower plots. I have heavy thick clay.

King Kutter - RTG-72
Counter Rotating Tines, Gear drive, 721#, $2,000

Land Pride - RTR2072
Counter Rotating Tines, Chain Drive, 795#, $4,000

Mohawk - RT72
Forward Rotating, Gear Drive, 750# $2300

The King Kutter I can buy online from a site here. It looks like it has more flanges, its gear driven, but is it considered their 'low end' model? Its awfully cheap compared to the landpride.

Last edited: