Need a finish for my trailer deck.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #1  

Rebeldad1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti Tractor, John Deere Mower,New Holland Mini Excavator
Trailer is a couple years old and the trailer deck needs some protection from the weather.

What do you use to protect the wood surface from the weather but not leave a slippery painted top cote?

Thanks in advance!!

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #2  
Whatever U use as a finish U can always sprinkle dry sand B4 the finish dries and that'll take care of the slipping aspect.
Were it me (and that is how I treat my wooden bed) I applied, liberally, a wood preservative from time to time.
Commercially I think operators simply rely on spilled oils to act as their preservatives.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #3  
I've been told coal tar extract driveway sealer is used to protect floors of semi-trailers. You'd want to sprinkle some silica before it dries, and of course, expect the silica to flake off with abrasion. I use used motor oil - but that's not going to give you a non-slippery surface

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #4  
I used a spray in bed liner for my steel truck bed. I really like the fact that it’s not slippery at all. Not sure if it’s recommended for wood. This is a cheaper alternative of a similar product from rustoleum. It’s also non skid but requires occasional touch up over major scratches. Seems like a genuine redneck review . :)

On my utility trailer the wood floor was already covered with thin (14 ga) sheet metal, also up the sides 18”. I used it for transporting mostly sand. No dump so the paint never stayed on for very long because of all the shoveling. It was great for what I needed, never lost any sand on the freeway with just a tarp set over it. Slipping was non issue because we always secured loads on pallets with ratchet straps. When I redid the wiring 10 years later, looking at the planks underneath, they looked as new except for discoloration from road grime.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #5  
I have been using Tompson Water Seal on my wood decks but find that although water still beads on it, the wood still gets weathered looking in the sun.

A few people have told me to use linseed oil and that it is much better.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #6  
I use used motor oil
Same here, mines only a 4 x 8 trailer so I've no need to walk on it. I use it on the plywood floor and decking sides. !2 years old and not a bit of rot anywhere........Mike

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #7  
We used a good deck preservative. Thompson makes a few varities and we tried there best, most expensive one. Its worked for a few years. I'd suggest any good quality deck stain with some color/stain in it.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #8  
I use boiled linseed oil......because that's what the manufacturer recommended when new. I'm on the third deck in 22 years. Hauling gravel on the first two decks probably hastened the rot. Now, I don't haul gravel anymore and this deck should last "forever" LOL

Linseed oil brushes on easily and is non slip when dry. I try to put a coat on every year or so....My trailer is a 12 ft industrial skid steer hauler....just used occasionally by an old man.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #9  
I also use boiled linseed oil on my PJ 20'er. It sits outside under pine trees when not in use. I re-coat it using a roller about every 3-4 years and have no signs of deterioration at all. Be aware though, the linseed oil will turn dark, near black in short order, if the color is a problem for you.

I've found that Thomson's sealer dries out too quickly especially if out in the sun. I do like Thompson's, but not for my trailer floor.

/ Need a finish for my trailer deck. #10  
I'd imagine that those of us that are occasional users versus those that use their trailers almost daily have different needs for maintenance. Those that are are running equipment on/off with muddy/dirty tires/tracks probably see used oil etc as a good option.