Need a good Rope

/ Need a good Rope #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
Things slowed down for a couple of weeks in the garden and gave me time to get back to some landscaping around the house. I also started my winter project list as I was planning what landscape projects needed to wait for cooler weather.

I have a few more trees I need to take down where I plan to start the pole barn/workshop and I need a good all-around-rope. Something I can tie off on trees to manaully pull in the right direction as well as other duties.

This web site shows the typical ropes we all are familiar with:

- Knot And Rope Supply Ltd.

I think the double braid nylon or aborist rope would be the best choice for my needs. The double braid can be found at Lowe's or Tractor Supply. I also thinking 150-200' or a "standard lenght".

Anyone have a preference or opinion on ropes?

/ Need a good Rope #2  
My favorite source for rope and aborists supplies is Sherril Tree, located in Greensboro, N.C. They have a great catalog with good descriptions of products and useful info. Web site is www. wtsherrill.com or search for Sherrill Tree. Phone is 800-525-8873. Their catalog has numerous ropes with great descriptions of usages. They also have great saws, climbing gear, etc. I spend lots of time in tree stands and use their products a lot. Their catalog is pretty interesting. I have always been fascinated by watching expert aborists work and how they rig and handle heavy limbs in tight places.

/ Need a good Rope #3  
I bought a 100' length of the rope they sell at TSC. Seems O.K., but if you put a knot in it and pull on a tree nice and hard, expect the heat from the friction to melt the nylon together in places. That's been my experience, don't know if that's normal or not.

Mark

/ Need a good Rope #4  
I bought a rope on sale at REI, the girl there recommended one, because it does not stretch and it is guaranteed to 15000 pounds or so. I used it to anchor a huge oak, while cutting it - pulled it down with a truck to the right direction.

/ Need a good Rope #5  
I get my arborist rope from bailey's . I don't think tree rope is something to be cheap on - a snapped rope is a bad thing

/ Need a good Rope #6  
Try some PMI 7/16" from say
Karst Sports
or Bob and Bob
and On Rope 1
Bruce of the last link sells arborist stuff too. I met him years ago at a caving convention. A very knowledgable guy when it comes to ropes and climbing.

/ Need a good Rope #7  
I have a 200' length of 3/8" of Amsteel Blue synthetic rope that is good for 14,000#. Stretches less than steel, stronger than steel, and wears better.

/ Need a good Rope #8  
How does that rope stand up to sunlight and high temperatures?