Need a new generator

/ Need a new generator #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I keep a generator in the truck to power tools and to run an air compressor. Time for a new one. I need one that will handle a 12 amp compressor and i would like for it to be manageable if possible. My old one was too big so it took up a ton of room and was a bear to move or unload. What do you guys have that you like?

/ Need a new generator #3  
good luck with that. a 10 amp compressor can take up to 6x that load at startup. i find my air compressor (an emglow) would not run on a 5,000 watt gen. i load tested it and it was drawing nearly 7,000 watts at startup. it ran great on 7,500 watt generator.

/ Need a new generator #4  
good luck with that. a 10 amp compressor can take up to 6x that load at startup. i find my air compressor (an emglow) would not run on a 5,000 watt gen. i load tested it and it was drawing nearly 7,000 watts at startup. it ran great on 7,500 watt generator.

i will agree with this. i have a log splitter that does 7200 watts on startup (15 amp plug), my dual inverters will not start it, my 7k generator doesn't even blink

/ Need a new generator #5  
Bullet proof Honda EU2000I. Runs my 1500W coffee pot. See if you can try your compressor on it before you buy. lots of them for sale new and used.

/ Need a new generator #6  
Bullet proof Honda EU2000I. Runs my 1500W coffee pot. See if you can try your compressor on it before you buy. lots of them for sale new and used.
The OP said it needs to run a 12 amp compressor, (and start it) have you checked to see how many amps a Honda 2000 puts out???

SR

/ Need a new generator #7  
The Honda EU2000i will run his compressor, but not start it. The 12A air compressor will pull 23 to 27A (3375 W) on startup, and then run continuously at 12Amps (1500 W). Its the startup surge that is most critical. I own two Honda EU2000i gensets and run them in parallel alot of times for my Airstream.

Last edited:
   / Need a new generator #8  
My 6500 watt really old Generac will handle 30 amps at 120 volts and 30 amps at 240 volts.... Along with 4 15 amp 120v plugs (but probably not loaded to max at once) .... So far it runs my small welder, my well water pump and powers necessities in my house when local power fails.... Not to impressed with inverter technologies, seem to have to many performance limitations... Still old school here....

As a side note most welding sites recommend a generator the has 50% more out put capability than what welder will draw under normal welding, the 50% comes in when it draws a surge at arc start and generator tends to bog down.... ITs just one example on how small portable generators are........

Its more about startup surges and how big a generator you need as to will it run a sustained load.... To combat low voltage at startup you need generator with more rotating mass (rotor) to sustain momentum till engine can re-regulate the governor to get output regulated to where it needs to be (60 hz?) ....

Dale

/ Need a new generator
It sounds like I need about 3500 starting watts to get the compressor running. What do you suggest? I was using a 6250 starting watt generator but it was just too unhandy. It weighs almost 225 lbs.

/ Need a new generator #10  
It sounds like I need about 3500 starting watts to get the compressor running. What do you suggest? I was using a 6250 starting watt generator but it was just too unhandy. It weighs almost 225 lbs.

Does yours have wheels?

You might just need better way to "handle" it..... I put wheels on my and it made a world of difference.....

Do you have tractor with FEL?.... Might make loading and unloading easier....

Dale