Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #1  

fish6942

Gold Member
Tractor
'07 Kubota BX2350
I bought a used Snow King (Allied/Buhler) 3PH blower, 60", and discovered the PTO shaft doesn't have the shear bolt assembly on it. See item 1 on pages 12 and 13 on this link: Page 13: 50" & 60" Allied Snowblower User Manual - Buhler Industries Inc.

The implement end of the shaft says it's a Weasler brand.

The dealer has quoted me $188 for the shear assembly only with the parts coming from Buhler. I'm curious whether any of you know of a different (less costly) source for this shear assembly.

I've found one other shear assembly that will fit but it uses a single bolt instead of the (2) 5/16" bolts that the mfg calls for. I'm thinking the safe thing to do is to use the same bolt configuration.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Buhler-Allied pto shaft.gif
    Buhler-Allied pto shaft.gif
    25.3 KB · Views: 641
   / Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #2  
Considering $188+ to get a used PTO shaft in operating condition, I think I'd just buy a whole new shaft. Especially since I don't think one 5/16" bolt will be strong enough.

But I can't tell from any of the parts diagrams - is the implement transmission input shaft splined or smooth?

//greg//

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft
greg_g said:
Considering $188+ to get a used PTO shaft in operating condition, I think I'd just buy a whole new shaft. Especially since I don't think one 5/16" bolt will be strong enough.

But I can't tell from any of the parts diagrams - is the implement transmission input shaft splined or smooth?

//greg//

The generic PTO shafts I've seen do not include the shear assembly. The dealer quoted me $369 for the entire shaft assembly.

I'm not sure about the implement shaft as I've never removed that end.

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #4  
fish6942 said:
The generic PTO shafts I've seen do not include the shear assembly. The dealer quoted me $369 for the entire shaft assembly.

I'm not sure about the implement shaft as I've never removed that end.
Incorrect. They may not include an identical "shear assembly", but they can be purchased in either shear bolt configuration or slip clutch configuration; either one almost certainly for under $188 - and absolutely positively for under $369.

But I can't help you pursue those alternatives any further, without an answer to the input shaft question

//greg//

Greg,

The implement shaft is smooth but with a keyway and is about 1.25" in diameter.

I'd be VERY interested in another source for a PTO shaft with a shear assembly. Checking the normal suppliers (TSC, Northern Tool) their shafts do not come with a shear assembly.

Thanks,
Paul

EDIT: The tractor end is the standard splined shaft.

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #6  
A round input shaft means means that you can get either; that's either a slip clutch PTO shaft or the less expensive shear pin PTO shaft. Admittedly I don't own or operate an Allied snow machine. But from what I see in the diagrams, there's no obvious reason you can't go with an aftermarket shaft.

I take it you're not familiar with either type?

//greg//

I'm only somewhat familiar with the different styles and options for the PTO shafts.

The shaft that came with the (used) blower is a Weasler. I do know that this is not the shaft that came with the blower from the factory. I'm also not sure what brand of shaft Allied/Buhler normally supplies.

If you have a decent source for a complete shaft with a similar shear assembly I can take it from there.

Thanks for the help!!

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #8  
fish6942 said:
If you have a decent source for a complete shaft with a similar shear assembly I can take it from there.
Sorry. I understand a desire to repair/replace as original. Best I can do however, is to suggest replacing the complete original "shear assembly" type shaft with either an aftermarket "shear bolt" type or a "slip clutch" type. The bolt type works on the very same principle as your original, the slip type should do an even better job. And either one will certainly cost less than your $188 repair part figure.

//greg//

Apparently I was using the wrong terminology. What I'm looking for at this point is a complete PTO shaft assembly that includes a shear bolt in either end yoke. (Allied/Buhler refers to this style yoke and collar as a shear assembly.) However, the method of implementing the shear bolt has to involve using a flange on either the tractor or implement yoke (follow the link in the opening post and go to page 12 for a detailed drawing). The implement shaft does not have a through hole for a cross-axis type shear bolt.

I've done multiple Google searches for PTO shaft suppliers and I can't seem to find one that carries a shaft with a flange/ shear bolt configuration.

If you think you may know of a supplier that carries an entire PTO shaft assembly which includes shear bolts located in a flange as shown in the drawing I'd be most appreciative. It'd be REALLY great if this asembly does come in at a reasonable cost.

/ Need a shear assembly for my PTO shaft #10  
PTO Shaft

PTO Shaft

Call one of these places up and talk to them about what you need. There are numerous other places, too. My JRW came with a Waltershield, which is a well built shaft. The shear bolts tend to be stressed the most when you engage the PTO shaft. So, try to ease up on your clutch popping.... :), and always try to only engage the PTO at idle RPM [Unless you run into something that the blower is not made to blow, like something that is not made up of snow, the shear pins should last for years]