Toplink Need a shorter top link

/ Need a shorter top link #11  
Why wont it work with the standard toplink? What is the reason for wanting it tipped way forward??

Is it because you cannot lift it high enough?

/ Need a shorter top link #12  
You can get cat 0 to cat 1 bushings.

Sent from my Samsung SPH-L710 using TractorByNet

/ Need a shorter top link #13  
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I looked at the one from AgriSupply but that is 17" minimum pin to pin. I need pin one about a 12" min. I wanted to use a middle buster/potato plow, tipped way forward, to scrape gravel out of a shallow drainage ditch that fills up when the town puts oil & stone on the road. Don't think the chain idea would work because the plow bottom would be able to swivel up and down. Don't like using the cat0 because smaller size pins would allow slop and similar problems as well as oval out the cat 1 holes. Since it won't be used that often, I did want something on the cheap. D.

You're right, chain would not work in that application.

Since you know the exact length you want maybe you can just take an old top link, remove the threaded portions, and weld the ends together (after cutting to the length you want).

Most farmers have an extra one, a bent one, or one lost in the back of the barn. Ask around.

Another option is to buy the ball ends and weld them to a piece of rod or heavy pipe to get a permanent top link of the length you want.

You don't say if you can do welding. If not, that limits the options.

Last edited:
   / Need a shorter top link #15  
One of the important things about toplinks is capability to adjust the length. Since you know the length and it's single purpose why not just take a length of suitable bar stock and drill a hole in both ends?

I'm thinking if there's not a lot of force on it you might get by with two pieces of angle stock (like a bedframe thickness) and just trim the "angles" off the ends. I only mention bedframe because they are so common and often found for free.

/ Need a shorter top link #16  
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I looked at the one from AgriSupply but that is 17" minimum pin to pin. I need pin one about a 12" min. I wanted to use a middle buster/potato plow, tipped way forward, to scrape gravel out of a shallow drainage ditch that fills up when the town puts oil & stone on the road. Don't think the chain idea would work because the plow bottom would be able to swivel up and down. Don't like using the cat0 because smaller size pins would allow slop and similar problems as well as oval out the cat 1 holes. Since it won't be used that often, I did want something on the cheap. D.

Chain won't work in your application because the toplink will be in compression. TISCO offers a Cat I toplink that adjusts from 13" to 19". Part # JSA1009 should run about $20 give or take.

/ Need a shorter top link #17  
One of the important things about toplinks is capability to adjust the length. Since you know the length and it's single purpose why not just take a length of suitable bar stock and drill a hole in both ends? I'm thinking if there's not a lot of force on it you might get by with two pieces of angle stock (like a bedframe thickness) and just trim the "angles" off the ends. I only mention bedframe because they are so common and often found for free.
BINGO! We have a winner. Suggest appropriate length 3/8" or 1/2" x 2" bar stock will be simple solution. Wouldn't even mess with angle stock. Find a local fab / welding shop and they probably have something on scrap pile. A good welder could burn fairly round hole for 7/8" Cat 1 pins on both ends and VIOLA you ready to go. If you have welding capabilities and a torch it is EZ-PZ. Rick

Last edited:
   / Need a shorter top link #18  
BINGO! We have a winner. Suggest appropriate length 3/8" or 1/2" x 2" bar stock will be simple solution. Wouldn't even mess with angle stock.

Rick

Bar stock in compression will fold up like a cheap tent. That's why steel comes in shapes like angles, channels, squares, rectangles & tubes.

/ Need a shorter top link #19  
I did the same and cut and welded to get a shorter link. If you are going to use tubing make sure it has at least 3/16 wall thickness and just fits inside the brackets with minimal side clearance.

/ Need a shorter top link #20  
get a piece of flat metal 3/8 or 1/2 thick a make one. wont be adjustable