Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #11  
Level areas usually have poor drainage. Clay soils usually have poor permeability. A bad combination with both.
Clay will let you work with it without leaving ruts when it’s dry. Clay doesn’t care about your wife’s schedule or her happiness.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #12  
If I were going to add anything it would be sand. Sand and clay can mix to allow water some movement in or through it. You might try this, dig a post (few inches in diameter) hole in the middle of the clay and see if you find a layer of sand below it. If so back fill with sand and it might work as drain for that area. Has worked for me.
No idea where you are but in my area of South Carolina we don't even expect green grass as early as Easter is this year.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #13  
The ONLY answer is to let it dry before you try to work it. Unfortunately, that can be a matter of timing with clay between soup, quicksand/muck and concrete. When my clay is dry, I can't even get the backhoe into it. When it's wet, I can't stand on it without sinking in.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess
I think adding gravel will work against you, if you want grass. Gravel is for driving on. Wait for it to dry and grade the land to drain the water. It's a "bowl" is creating the wet soft spot.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #15  
I agree, it's very important to let it dry for 4-7 days or what ever time is needed to dry out, and then bring in sandy soil, spread it about 4" deep over your muddy clay rich area. Don't let the delivery trucks anywhere near this clay, off load as close as possible and use your tractor bucket to help spread it. Compact your base and slope away if possible. Discontinue any gravel placement, because over time and with repeat rainy seasons, your high density gravel, eventually just sinks into the clay and will lose its effectiveness. The overlying sandy soil is of lighter density, and stays on top of the clay. Additionally, the sandy soil maintains good permeability, and water soaks through the layer quickly. As soon as you have compacted and graded your sandy soil, begin the process of planting field grasses to increase ability to support vehicles.

Last edited:
   / Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess
Thank you everyone for the advice. This has been extremely helpful. I got in this jam by being in a hurry. Now I'll just have to take my licks and wait until it's dry enough.

This is Exhibit A why amateurs like me should pay someone to do stuff like this.

And yes, the unsightly hickory tree in the background was going to be my next project .... it just got bumped up to item #1.

Thanks again. Blessings to all of you.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #17  
Ease up on yourself snaphooker,getting frustered and beating up on yourself only makes thing worse. Sound's like you might have recently bought acreage and are trying to "fix" everything you see thats wrong. Let nature have it's way and work with it,that's what farmers have done since time began. It isn't neccessary to fill every mudhole,groom every square foot and squash every bug on your land. Fact is,depending on who you talk to,leavng it on the wild side is reccomended.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #18  
Sometimes mixing sand into clay creates weak concrete. What happens depends on soil chemistry.

Sometimes gypsum will condition clay for grass.

Knowing your LOCATION would improve value of responses. Your photos remind me of southern Indiana.

Last edited:
   / Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #19  
Is sand not good to mix in with clay? I did that in Houston and it worked fairly well, but maybe an anomaly.

/ Need advice - I've made a big clay bowl mess #20  
All I see is soil too wet for proper grading. Is there any reason you can't wait until it'd dry? I also don't see why gravel is needed before adding topsoil. We've all got in too big of hurry and wound up with a mess but letting things dry out will take care of it.
I'm in the same boat. I have been living in a mud bowl now for almost 1year. No wife.

No offense but, around here, i will be long dead and gone before it ever drys up, IF IT EVER DRYS UP.

I really don't know what to do but I believe all this rain is the

KNEWNRML