Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #1  

rbstern

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT225E, Yanmar 2210
Recently purchased a Yanmar 2210, a 4' rotary cutter, and a 5' box blade. I'm currently parking out in the weather due to a lack of covered space for them. I want to build a simple shelter. I've built stick-built sheds before, but for this project, I'm consideirng using poles, similar to an open carport, which I've never done before.

I'm thinking about a 16'x12' footprint for the shelter, minimum 7' head clearance, concrete footings, five or six 4x4 posts (corners and mid-length, possibly mid-length only at the rear). 2x6 for the beams. 2x6 at 24" OC for roof joists, Roof would be flat, sloped front to back, with 1/2" OSB and traditional roofing shingles.

I'm in north Georgia. Snow is not a regular event, but it can snow and accumulate here every once in a blue moon. That would be the only weight bearing issue for the roof.

If I span the entire 16' at the front of the shelter with 2x6, should I double them up or go to a 2x8? Also, do I need 4x6 or 6x6 posts for a light weight, low-loading situation like this?

Any feedback appreciated.

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #2  
I had the same problem. I went 40 x 40 x with 14' clearance above the 7.5" thick concrete floor. It's an itch I just had to scratch.

Attachments

• DSC00943.jpg
    DSC00943.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 427
   / Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #3  
I would think twice about using OSB for the roof. It is very susceptible to moisture damage and weakening. If you use OSB make sure to orient it correctly . . . orienting its strength across the joists, not parallel with them.

I lean toward a decent three-quarter-inch tongue and grove plywood for the roof, especially when you want to go 24-inch on centers. Check around with people knowledgable in code and good building practices in your area. Its worth the time for a shelter that you want to last.

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #4  
Recently purchased a Yanmar 2210, a 4' rotary cutter, and a 5' box blade. I'm currently parking out in the weather due to a lack of covered space for them. I want to build a simple shelter. I've built stick-built sheds before, but for this project, I'm consideirng using poles, similar to an open carport, which I've never done before.

I'm thinking about a 16'x12' footprint for the shelter, minimum 7' head clearance, concrete footings, five or six 4x4 posts (corners and mid-length, possibly mid-length only at the rear). 2x6 for the beams. 2x6 at 24" OC for roof joists, Roof would be flat, sloped front to back, with 1/2" OSB and traditional roofing shingles.

I'm in north Georgia. Snow is not a regular event, but it can snow and accumulate here every once in a blue moon. That would be the only weight bearing issue for the roof.

If I span the entire 16' at the front of the shelter with 2x6, should I double them up or go to a 2x8? Also, do I need 4x6 or 6x6 posts for a light weight, low-loading situation like this?

Any feedback appreciated.

Here's the shed I built a few years ago for my tractors/implements.

20x28 ft, 10ft high in front sloping to 9 ft in rear, two 14x20 ft bays
4x6 main posts (pressure treated)
18"x18"x18" concrete footings with Simpson post bases embedded
Doubled 2x12 main beams (glued and nailed)
2x8 rafters
2x4 girts and purlins
29 ga R-panel metal roof and sides
4x4 knee braces (lots of them to stiffen the structure).

DSCF0098 (Small).JPGDSCF0097 (Small).JPGDSCF0090 (Small).JPG

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #5  
You're going to get lots of good info on materials and design.

I'm only going to mention - how ever big you think you need it, go twice as big. I built my pole barn 6 years ago. I was planning on 20 x 24. Everyone told me to go bigger. I scraped and saved, and built it 32 x 40. Guess what, 6 years later and I'm scraping and saving to build another barn. Next one will be 40 x 60 at least. Go as big as your budget allows. You won't regret it.

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #6  
The best thing to do is to park your tractor and implements the way they will be in the shed you are gonna build and measure the size of area that they use and double it and go no less than 10' inside height if the tractor has a roll bar if it doesn't have a roll bar still got 10' inside as you never know you may get a bigger tractor in the future and it will have a roll bar so it will fit in your shed that you built before you bought it, also when you build this shed make it so if you have to you can expand it if you need more space in the future .

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #7  
I agree with the other posts, make it as big as financially possible. How about tin roof? It will be cheaper up front, last longer, and the installation will be easier. I have one in northern Illinois which is 24 x 36, too small. It has one flat pitch, with treated 4x6's for posts on the outside and treated, not creosoted utility poles in the center all down below the 42" frost line.

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #8  
Built a 34x52x14 four bay back in 07. I'm outta room. Adding a 12x12 hay storage off the back soon. I do have a 6 foot overhang on the front and back which I keep non mechanical implements. Go as large as your finances allow is good advice, then plan an additions after that.:laughing:

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements #9  
How about one of those pipe framed carports that are being sold everywhere (you did say a "simple shelter"). I think that they are high enough for your little Yanmar. A single car runs $600-700 and a double about $800-900.

/ Need advice on building covered parking for my tractor and implements
Wanted to follow up and say thanks to all who kicked in with comments. I've got so many projects going, this one hasn't been started yet. I've already committed to another implement (dirt scoop), so, yeah, I hear everyone on the "go bigger" concept.

Will post pics of whatever I finally build.