Backhoe Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #1  

MH110

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB
Hi all,

Need some advice RE: the backhoe arm on my JD 110. The lower pin [circled in diagram] is pretty loose, but when I checked the diagram, I didn't see a serviceable bushing, just a pin. Is this a repairable item or does JD recommend replacing the whole arm? It's clear the PO neglected greasing this particular pivot!

Thanks!

IMG_4414.JPG

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #2  
You could get it welded and line bored, likely for a fraction of the price of a new dipper.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm
You could get it welded and line bored, likely for a fraction of the price of a new dipper.

I was thinking something along those lines...a replacement arm is in the $3-4k range!!

The people I have talked to so far mentioned boring it out slightly and inserting a custom bushing to fit a stock pin. Is there enough meat on the end of the arm/stick to do this? I could possibly bore it on my vertical mill if I could find the right tooling for that.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #5  
Hard to say. I'd take the bucket off and see if you can tell how thick the pin tubes are. It would be a project trying to get the dipper arm aligned on your mill.

If you have some machine tools already and like building stuff look into a basic line boring setup. I've seen several home built examples varying in complexity and will eventually build one myself. Just depends how much you value your time as to the economics of building something yourself to have available again in the future or paying someone else if you're not likely to use it again.

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #6  
Seems odd that they would not service that with a bushing. There likely wont be enough material to bore out and have any kind of bushing thick enough to have any strength. A good welder can have the old ones cut out and new ones welded in. Wouldn't cost much and would be good as new.

Finally took the bucket off and I was surprised to see that the dipperstick bore wasn't nearly as bad as the bucket bores! The pins are shot. Is there a spec on the diameter of that lower bore? Yup, I confirmed no bushing on mine which is just plain stupid! The nice thing is that there is some meat on there to make this repair. That bucket was toast when I got it...but I do have a replacement 18" bucket with "quick" connect coupler when I get this other stuff sorted.

IMG_4471.JPGIMG_4469.JPG

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #8  
I'll take look at the Technical repair manual for possible specs on the pin. The Original owner would have had a good excuse for never greasing those pins... The zerks are ground to a nubbin'!

Osage orange cranium...?

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #9  
If the greaser was responsible, then would have replaced the zerks so they'd take grease, not use them being ground away as an excuse to skip.. ;)
just sayin....

/ Need Advice on JD110 Backhoe Arm #10  
Mine is also loose. They are not servicable, Yet.

I am making a new pin boss that will accept bushings.
I bought a new pin, $100.00.

Once machined i will replace the current one. Actually not a big job for me.

John Deere bushings are way too much money.
I meed to find someplace to buy reasonable bushings.