Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #31  
A few years ago I started making trails through the wooded areas now the grand-kids loving visiting driving the JD Gator through the trails, driving the tractor, target practice and the ones to young for drivers license get to drive the truck around the open field.
We also planted a vineyard one year, they thought it was really hard work but enjoyed it now they trim the vines enjoy the muscadines and take some home with them.
We also have bonfires at night.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #32  
What kind of livestock do you have?

There is always riding horses. And if no horses, perhaps try riding the tamest steer that you have.

And if no tame steers, perhaps see how long the kid can stay on the back of a 200+ pound pig. Just make sure there is a nearby manure pile for a soft landing.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #33  
I taught all the kids to drive my F150 with stick shift around age 12 to 13 at the farm.

Being 4wd and in low range they got an easy intro into clutch throttle coordination.

Some of the nieces later had boyfriends that couldn’t drive a stick…

One was away at University and she drive a friends stick home… out of about a dozen people she was the only one that could drive as her friend had a cast on.
I've taught several young ladies how to drive stick. 1990 Cummins with a 5 speed. "Just concentrate on letting the clutch out slowly. Don't worry about coordinating the throttle until you get going." Works every time and in short order they can switch to a gas engine.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #34  
I learned to drive in cow pastures, stick shift of course - sounds like great fun (y)

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #35  
I learned to double clutch on a 1959 bug.

My Model A was in process and knowing how to double clutch became a valuable skill.

Last edited:
   / Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #36  
I would really hesitate on any sharp, spinning equipment. Accidents WILL happen before anybody can stop them.

My son, and a friend of his, come out and help me with one of my major projects. Thinning my pine stands.

The steps - identify the trees - fell the trees - drag to several central piles - chip the trees. I thin 800 to 1200 small pines - every couple years.

Son and friend are both in their mid-40's. I will do the first two steps. The two guys will do step three and four. Step four - obviously the most fun. They get to drive my tractor and use the big 'ol Wallenstein chipper.

I trust nobody else with one of my chainsaws. It can happen all so fast and it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest medical help.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property
I learned to drive in cow pastures, stick shift of course - sounds like great fun
I have a Ford F800 truck with dump bed. I have had my wife slowly creep it down the driveway while I am in back with a chain saw and pole saw trimming both sides of the driveway for large vehicle clearance.

I'm sure he'd love to drive it. The F800 is a beast, stick shift, and the good news is you never even hit 5mph on the driveway job. Plus he would have to back it up 1/4 mile to get it home. 😃

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #38  
I’d say probably do some things and get a feel for what he would like. Everything he does needn’t be fun but you don’t want it to be a negative experience either. You will know it was a positive experience if he wants to come back.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #39  
Just make sure the proper safety devices are there for him to use!

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #40  
Sounds fun, you have plenty of "stuff" to do....feel it out, when your showing him around at first, walk by "whatever" that's xyz, ever driven one? Want to?
This is where we xyz....ever tried it? Want to?

This exposes every day things/chores and gives him a chance to choose what he wants to try.....

Then? Put his ass to work the next morning :ROFLMAO:

The last bit was pure fun....but really? Show him "cool
" non city stuff and see how he reacts, good luck and post updates