Oil & Fuel need advice

/ need advice #1  

tommy5065e

Tractor
john deere 5065
bought a john deere 5065e power reverser transmission. have 20 hrs on it. while brush hogging with an mx10 the hydraulic drain plug vibrated completly out from the factory. it ran 200 yards on full HP before i realized i had no hydraulics when i couldnt turn. .. they came out and fixed with new plug and hydraulic oil. any idea what my long term or short term effects are? not sure how far to take this. ... thank you

/ need advice #2  
When they came out to fix it, did you get a receipt? Any sort of paper documentation of them being there? or pictures?

Have you asked your dealer about using it after running it dry and if there is any damage to it?

Did you document what his reply was?

If you continue using it and it fails on you, having something that says the dealer is aware of the problem will go a long ways in having it repaired or replaced if something happens.

/ need advice #3  
In my opinion, almost no danger of long term damage due to losing hydraulic oil, then operating over 200 yards.

If a sealing washer is called for with the plug, make sure the dealer installed the washer. (look at a Deere 5065e parts diagram) Check the new plug for tightness periodically during the next fifty hours. Male plug may be in spec, but lean. Female threads may be in spec, but toward the wide end of spec. Were I the dealer I would have wrapped the plug with teflon plumber's tape to insure fluid seal and plug retention.

If the tractor operates well now, I do not believe there is any way you can prognosticate or claim "damage". You would have to prove damage, damage is not assumed under the law.

/ need advice #4  
If there was no "slipping" of the transmission (it has hydraulic forward and reverse clutches) or PTO clutch, I would not be too worried.
I would ask JD to extend the warranty, both hours and months, in case of future problems. Extra 1000 hours and extra year? Maybe more?

Hopefully any problems will show up with in your warranty.

I had the drive (spline in pressure plate) that drives the transmission pump of my JD 2030 fail. The transmission pump supplies the forward clutch for the HI-LO transmission and the PTO clutch. The PTO immediately quit (I was brush hogging, I thought the pin sheared) , then the transmission begin to slip, maybe 100 yards further. I then immediately shut it down. Everything worked after repairs, but I did not lose any hydraulic oil and only let it slip a couple of minutes, two to three, at the most.

/ need advice #5  
When they came out to fix it, did you get a receipt? Any sort of paper documentation of them being there? or pictures?

Have you asked your dealer about using it after running it dry and if there is any damage to it?

Did you document what his reply was?

If you continue using it and it fails on you, having something that says the dealer is aware of the problem will go a long ways in having it repaired or replaced if something happens.

What difference does any of that make?

/ need advice
thanks alot guys. i have paperwork of the issue and i will contact JD. also a good idea about extending the warranty, all good advice!

/ need advice #7  
Lots of good advice above. Especially EddieWalker ideas on paper work. Always a good idea to have paper work to document maintenance or repairs. If or perhaps I should say when something comes up it’s nice to have so you can just put a stop to any questions of proper care and who is responsible for fixing the problem.

/ need advice #9  
Do you think warranty ? Your comments are less than intelligent . Kevin .

Warranty for running your machine dry of oil? I think not.

/ need advice #10  
The way I read it the plug fell out not due to his fault but it wasn’t tight enough when he bought it. The paperwork shows they fixed it and if there is a future problem he can show what happened.