Buying Advice Need an all purpose machine.

/ Need an all purpose machine. #21  
how about something from Ariens? Something from the S or GT series.

/ Need an all purpose machine. #23  
Another option would be a Cub Cadet SGT (Super Garden Tractor) or a GT3000 series (the newer version of the SGT).
We got a GT3200 this spring with ~600 hours for $4k from a dealer. It has a 60" deck, plow and blower.
You can get an 18xx SGT for under $2000 with a deck, plow and blower if you look, but parts may be hard to find.
EDIT: Like this one: http://rochester.craigslist.org/grd/2594320061.html

IMO the GT3200 we have is comparable to a Deere 400 (shaft driven implements, diff lock, heavy transmission, hydro deck/attachment lift, 3pt or sleeve hitch available). I think the implements (plow and blower at least) are made by the same company.
The SGT tractors are comparable to a 300 series Deere and will be similar to the Cub Cadet GT3000 series, but will have belt drive implements rather than shaft driven ones.

When I was looking, I also saw the Case/Ingersoll 446 was similar, but with lots of hours.

Aaron Z

/ Need an all purpose machine.
They'd be good mowing machines, but neither of those could accept a loader

Mini-Loader318BucketUpDump.jpg

Mini-Loader318BucketDown.jpg

Looks like a 318 with a loader to me.

/ Need an all purpose machine. #25  
   / Need an all purpose machine. #26  
I had a 420, with 60" mover, snow blade, snow blower, wheel weights, and 3 pt hitch (never had anything to go on the 3 pt hitch), did a good job, cost me $5,000 10 years ago, traded it after about 8 years in on a 770 and got $3,000, and, 420 will accept the JD 44 loader, but those loaders are hard to find used, and cost a lot!

A 425 might be better one to look at, they can use a JD 40 loader, same as above on the 44 loader, used, expensive, and hard to find, but, have plenty of options for decks, blades, blowers, and the engine is water cooled, others you have mentioned are air cooled, differntial lock, like 420 and 430, and the 425 can have the 540 rear PTO, others mentioned, 420, 430, could have a rear 2000 PTO, the 540 could be used for a small rotary cutter,

But, you really need a small 5x8 trailer for hauling a small tractor with deck and other attachments, around, Tractor Supply have good prices on trailers, with fold down gates,

Use the bed of your truck for hauling other things you might need, string trimmer, etc.,

Having said all that, with the 5 acre lot, might want consider a 4wd tractor, like the 770's little brother the 670, with 4wd, 18 hp, but wouldn't fit on 5x8 trailer,

/ Need an all purpose machine. #27  
Having said all that, with the 5 acre lot, might want consider a 4wd tractor, like the 770's little brother the 670, with 4wd, 18 hp, but wouldn't fit on 5x8 trailer,

A 670 was my first tractor...great little machine...and could even be used on those 1/4 acre lots with a mid-mount mower.
But even an older CUT like a 670 is probably going to exceed Pele's $2000 budget.

/ Need an all purpose machine. #28  
I had a 420, with 60" mover, snow blade, snow blower, wheel weights, and 3 pt hitch (never had anything to go on the 3 pt hitch), did a good job, cost me $5,000 10 years ago, traded it after about 8 years in on a 770 and got $3,000, and, 420 will accept the JD 44 loader, but those loaders are hard to find used, and cost a lot!

A 425 might be better one to look at, they can use a JD 40 loader, same as above on the 44 loader, used, expensive, and hard to find, but, have plenty of options for decks, blades, blowers, and the engine is water cooled, others you have mentioned are air cooled, differntial lock, like 420 and 430, and the 425 can have the 540 rear PTO, others mentioned, 420, 430, could have a rear 2000 PTO, the 540 could be used for a small rotary cutter,

But, you really need a small 5x8 trailer for hauling a small tractor with deck and other attachments, around, Tractor Supply have good prices on trailers, with fold down gates,

Use the bed of your truck for hauling other things you might need, string trimmer, etc.,

A JD 420, 425, 445, or 455 would make a great choice. The problem with your thinking is that attachments are darn expensive and hard to find. One's with a rear 3ph are the rarest. Here's what you can expect to pay for attachments:

Loader $1200 - $2000
Scraper blade full setup $500
Snow blower full setup $800 - $1500
3ph - $400
rear pto (its an option) - very rare after market - $800
Weights and chains (these are must with any non-wheeled attachment) - $300

So, when setup with a loader and 3PH, you'll have well over $5K in that tractor. If and that's a BIF IF you can find the attachments when you are ready for them.

Sorry to say, but you'll never get to something very useful with a budget of only $2000. You are just wishing for the impractical. You would be smarter to look for a 750, 755, 720, or 770 with a loader. Then you'd have a lot more tractor, and these are around for about $5K.

/ Need an all purpose machine.
A 670 was my first tractor...great little machine...and could even be used on those 1/4 acre lots with a mid-mount mower.
But even an older CUT like a 670 is probably going to exceed Pele's $2000 budget.

Deere 670 is WAY too big to keep around here.

Maybe I should just go out and get a brand new Deere 6030 tractor and a Combine. I dunno what a combine does, I just know they're used on farms and it's something way more than I need.

I think you guys think I need way more tractor than I really do. Maybe it's the 5 acres bit that's doing it.

There's 5 acres, but most of it is woods. There's only about two acres cleared for a house. That two acres gets filled with weeds and I have to pick ticks off of myself every time I go there. I usually drive my wife's little Nissan Altima over the weeds though. I could probably take it out with a regular mower, but the bush hog would probably be faster. There's about 200 ft of dirt/gravel driveway leading up to the clearing.

I was thinking the Front End Loader would be useful for clearing snow and spreading gravel on my driveway. Maybe helping move mulch and stuff for gardening and putting heavy stuff like engine blocks, gearboxes, and rear ends in the back of my truck.

/ Need an all purpose machine. #30  
Pele,

Perhaps we are not used to your way of thinkin.... :laughing: I'd use that as an excuse to get as Tim the Toolman Taylor says: "More Power." But I certainly understand budgetary constraints and storage.

Good Luck on your search.

Bart