Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870

/ Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870 #11  
Chain it to a stout tree by the drawbar, put it in a high gear (engine off) depress the clutch pedal, start the motor (throttled up a bit) and hang on. When it gets to the end of the chain, it will break loose. Done it a few times, always works and why neither of my tractors have clutches. I really dislike dry clutches.
I guess you've never thought of possibility of a tow chain breaking then hitting you? I've heard of putting blanket over chain to lessen chance of this happening BUT your method sounds as if an accident has a very excellent place to happen.

/ Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870 #12  
I guess you've never thought of possibility of a tow chain breaking then hitting you? I've heard of putting blanket over chain to lessen chance of this happening BUT your method sounds as if an accident has a very excellent place to happen.
forgot too add the blanket and always use at least a Grade 80 chain. Non issue here now as none of mine have dry clutches. The dry clutch tractors are long gone. Chaining to the drawbar and low on a tree keeps things down low in case the chain does break. As usual it is always 'at your own risk' and I'll leave it at that.

/ Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870 #13  
You may be able to free it by just driving it briefly with the clutch in. You want to be in a gear that will cause the engine to work hard going up a mild hill or other convenient feature of your property. You may be able to start the tractor in such gear, but if not you can start in a lower gear and upshift while rolling and feathering the throttle. Once in the appropriate gear try to accelerate up the hill at full throttle, clutch in of course. Try a couple or 3 times but not many because long time running with the clutch throw out bearing loaded at operating RPM is a wear gamble. If it does free up fairly promptly good - if not chain to a big healthy tree from the tractor drawbar as described in others posts. You may want to protect the tree bark at the chain point.

/ Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870 #14  
Were you ever successful getting the clutch plates to release ?

/ Need direction on unsticking clutch on John Deere 870 #15  
Last edited: