Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower?

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #1  

Woody65

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST 4wd
I am looking to buy my son a mower for his new place which he is currently using a walk behind to mow. It is about 1/2 acre and flat. I have never owned a riding mower. I use my Deere 4300 with a 72” rotary 3pt hitch type. I have done my research and feel that I would rather buy from my local Deere dealer than the big box stores. Also, they have dealer only models that fit right into the size mower I believe he would need. The S240 is about $600 more list price. But with a $200 rebate and a free 10p cart ($150), it’s really only $250 more than the E130. I like that it comes with the Kawasaki engine instead of the B&S. Any advice, comments and experience with the above models would be great. Thanks

Last edited:
   / Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #2  
If I'm not mistaken, the S240 is a current model whereas the L130 has been replaced with the E130. The L130 had a Kohler engine where the E130 has a Briggs & Stratton. Are you looking at a used L130?

If you are ever presented with the choice between a B&S or a Kawasaki engine, the Kawasaki is the smart choice every time. It will likely be much more trouble free and longer life than the B&S.

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower?
I’m sorry, I meant the E130.

I like the Kawasaki engine myself.

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #4  
2 years ago purchased a L130 mower and had carburter troubles almost every time refilled the fuel tank. replaced 10 or more fuel filters and jd place insisted carb was full of trash. then they replaced the carburter in total and still had problems .traded in still under warrenty for a E130 jd mower
So far 6 hours has operated properly.
Afterwards noticed Lowes sold same mower and could of got a 200 buck credit card both advertised at same price.
ken

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #5  
I’m sorry, I meant the E130.

I like the Kawasaki engine myself.

If it is only $600 to get the S240 with Kawasaki engine your choice is a clear and easy one.

Just came from the dealer. The S240 is on the X series frame, comes with an additional 1 year bumper to bumper (3yrs as opposed to 2yrs) and has an electronic pto. That coupled with the Kawasaki engine and $200 rebate, I think I am going with the S240. Sat on both and they are about the same size. The manager was in a meeting, so waiting to hear back about a possible discount on buying 2 of them. My daughter is buying a house in August and they will need one too.

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #7  
Hopefully you purchased the S240- much better tractor- better tranny, much better engine, Better tires, better seat and better mower deck

Went with the S240. The dealer delivered it on Friday. First off, the delivery guy goes to get it off the trailer and I notice he is moving the throttle up and down and hear no change in the rpm’s. Pulls it into the driveway and says here you go. I sit on the machine and it is obvious the throttle is not connected. I call him over and he just stares at it. I open the hood and decider that it is disconnected at the handle, not the carburetor. He calls the dealership and obviously can’t explain the issue. I tell him to give me the phone and explain it to the mechanic and ask how to open up the throttle assembly. He informs me it’s a sealed unit and has to be ordered from the dealer and replaced in its entirety. I ask to speak to the owner of the dealership. He gets on and assures me the part will be overnighted and installed on Monday. I ask how does a machine get out of his shop with a disconnected throttle as good to go. He has no answer. Otherwise the machine works great and mows well.

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #9  
Went with the S240. The dealer delivered it on Friday. First off, the delivery guy goes to get it off the trailer and I notice he is moving the throttle up and down and hear no change in the rpm’s. Pulls it into the driveway and says here you go. I sit on the machine and it is obvious the throttle is not connected. I call him over and he just stares at it. I open the hood and decider that it is disconnected at the handle, not the carburetor. He calls the dealership and obviously can’t explain the issue. I tell him to give me the phone and explain it to the mechanic and ask how to open up the throttle assembly. He informs me it’s a sealed unit and has to be ordered from the dealer and replaced in its entirety. I ask to speak to the owner of the dealership. He gets on and assures me the part will be overnighted and installed on Monday. I ask how does a machine get out of his shop with a disconnected throttle as good to go. He has no answer. Otherwise the machine works great and mows well.

No amount of machine engineering can totally eliminate dealer incompetence.

/ Need help deciding L130 or S240 riding mower? #10  
I bought a S240 42” deck in 2015 and have been very satisfied with it.