Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas #1  

tmac196

Silver Member
Tractor
1951 Ford 8N, 1965 Ford 2000, Grasshopper 325D, JD 5065M
I am attempting to remove the rear hood to paint it and have every step completed except I am unable to remove the throttle control lever from it's connections. Here is the rear hood with the throttle control lever sticking up with it's right angle bend:
Rear Hood.jpg

Next are two close ups of the bottom of the throttle control lever where it passes through the control lever assembly (and subsequently connects to the throttle control rod). I have taken the spring and washer off the end of the lever and very temporarily replaced the lock nut for picture clarity. I loosened the control lever assembly bolt and mistakenly thought I would just pull the lever up through the hood, but no way.

Throttle lever assy -far.jpg
Throttle lever assy close.jpg

The has been a rougher project than I expected. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas
SG,

I looked there before I tore the sheet metal off the tractor. Neither the parts list, nor the drawing help me to understand how to pull the throttle lever out of the rear hood. I have lubricated all of the washers and "wiggled" the lever back and forth, but it wont pull out.

I may give up and put the rear hood back on and use a chemical paint stripper (no rotary power tools near the gas tank) and paint it while on the tractor.

tmac

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas #4  
get a bigger hammer? how about using a slide hammer from the bend in the top of the rod? Looks to me like it is just stuck.

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas #5  
If I remember right, you need to remove bolt #9 completely out of part #6, as there is a notch in the control lever, to keep part #6 from slipping/turning on the shaft, once the bolt is in place.

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas
If I remember right, you need to remove bolt #9 completely out of part #6, as there is a notch in the control lever, to keep part #6 from slipping/turning on the shaft, once the bolt is in place.

DJ- That sounds promising. I will let you know how that goes.

tmac

Problem solved. After coating the throttle shaft with penetrating oil overnight I was able to rotate the shaft back and forth a few times and with one firm tug it popped loose. There really is nothing holding it into the steel socket attached to the steering column which it passes through. It merely was the fact that it had not been pulled off either ever or for many years.

DJ54-Bolt #9 does pass through a notch in the shaft to help prevent rotation of part #6, but this was not a factor for the shaft removal.

Eddie48-In effect, you are right. I just needed to apply some more force.

Thank, all for the suggestions.

tmac

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas #8  
i figured once you saw the exploded diagram it might make more sense.

/ Need help removing throttle control lever -Removing rear hood. Ford 2000 3-cyl. gas #9  
Glad you got it apart. Now for pictures of the finished product?