Need Help with FEL 3rd function

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #1  

tandttravis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B-26
I recently purchased a 6' Curtis ,quick attach ,Plow for my B-26, I need to add a 3rd function remote for the angling capabilities of the plow. I've done some searches on here, and learned about solenoid divertors and pulling of the rear remote ports, but I'm not sure of the right direction to go? I would like to leave the rear remote free, so I can leave my backhoe on, I'm thinking a solenoid diverter valve would be the way to go. I've searched online, but haven't come up with much, I'm unsure of which types of quick connects to use, and which size hydraulic lines? I'm mechanically inclined, just need to know the right direction. I spoke to the dealer about it, he quoted me about $850 for an addiotional valve, I'm thinking it can be done for less. help!

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #2  
I was quoted about that for a diverter valve and hose set-up. I had the rear spools already so I ran hoses to the front of my FEL to operate a grapple; could be used for angling or for an auger, etc... This only cost me the hoses and connections, about $200. I have a backhoe as well, so I'm not sure what you are concerned about with that. I just disconnect one set of hoses for the other depending on the job I'm working on.

I recommend seeking quotes from tractor shops to compare prices and to solicit suggestions on how best to accomplish what you want to do. They have more experience than

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #3  
Travis,

Do a search for "diverter" with my username "kennyd" and you will find recent threads with the updated links for the diverter I used...You can also call Nelson at WR Long and get a price on his kit.

Also search the "wr long" phrase.

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #4  
I was at the tractor dealer yesterday nothing unusual they are right net door to where I work...how convenient.

I saw a new product on their shelf it plugs into your rear remotes has a set of solenoid valves and four outlets. You just plug in to remotes run a wire to a switch and 12v and valves and bingo you now have 2 sets of remotes, flip the switch to activate backhoe or plowjust not both at the same time. They said about $550.

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #5  
I was at the tractor dealer yesterday nothing unusual they are right net door to where I work...how convenient.

I saw a new product on their shelf it plugs into your rear remotes has a set of solenoid valves and four outlets. You just plug in to remotes run a wire to a switch and 12v and valves and bingo you now have 2 sets of remotes, flip the switch to activate backhoe or plowjust not both at the same time. They said about $550.

Not new, it's called a Multiplier

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function
Looking at the WR Long valve kit, looks it would be a great way to go! Kennyd, do you know how much these cost?, I'm on Mountain time, so I missed them being open by an hour.

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #7  
Looking at the WR Long valve kit, looks it would be a great way to go! Kennyd, do you know how much these cost?, I'm on Mountain time, so I missed them being open by an hour.

I think they around $550 or so... but not 100% sure. It's a good alternative for those who don't want or can't piece the "kit" together themselves, and not much more either.

Kennyd, a few basic questions, are hydraulic lines and fittings typically NPT? what is the typical quick coupler that is used? I know your a John Deere guy, but does Kubota use JIC threads on there couplers or are they NPT? With the Diverter Valve link you sent me, it doesn't seem to terribly complicated to put this together, using a diverter vs. the WR Long 3rd valve. the supply and return lines to my curl-dump cylinders are easily accessible, for tying into. I read in some posts about power beyond fittings?, what do I need to know about this? When you have the time, can you send me some more links for good weather resistant switches, and a good supplier for quick couplers?

/ Need Help with FEL 3rd function #9  
Kennyd, a few basic questions, are hydraulic lines and fittings typically NPT?
Nope, it's not that easy unfortunately. OEM's like to mix stuff up. You might find NPT, JIC, ORB, or SAE.
what is the typical quick coupler that is used?
Pioneer style usually.
but does Kubota use JIC threads on there couplers or are they NPT?
Not sure, JD uses either NPT or ORB's for the QD,s
With the Diverter Valve link you sent me, it doesn't seem to terribly complicated to put this together, using a diverter vs. the WR Long 3rd valve.

WR long has two different ones. One is a diverter, and one is a true stand-alone valve but operated via a solenoid vs. a lever.
They are not complicated-but finding all the right fittings and then getting the proper length hoses can be a real PITA especially if you do not have a good hydraulic shop local to you. Having to wait for fittings and paying shipping can get old very quickly-especially if you are not sure what you need.

the supply and return lines to my curl-dump cylinders are easily accessible, for tying into

You only need these lines if you do the diverter setup...
I read in some posts about power beyond fittings?, what do I need to know about this?
And you will only need these if you do the 3rd valve setup. so you need to decide which way to go...

I chose the diverter because the valves on the JD's are no accessible like they are on the Kub's. In your situation the 3rd valve setup would probably be better, and it would involve less plumbing I think.
When you have the time, can you send me some more links for good weather resistant switches, and a good supplier for quick couplers?
I would seriously look at the WR long kit...it comes with a new joystick handle that includes a switch and the QD's. But the time you source all the parts induvidually, you may not save any money in the long run

Kennyd, I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through the options, I spoke to Nelson at WR Long today, I am going to order the kit on Monday, I was quoted $650 for the valve kit and the bulkhead kit with the quick connects, it seems reasonable to me. Like you mentioned, chasing down all the correct fittings can be a real pain, and I'm 45 mins to the nearest hydraulic supply store. Have a great weekend!