Need help with lifting design

/ Need help with lifting design #1  

raykos

Silver Member
Tractor
JD2305
Hi all,

This project falls under, "...wouldn't it be neat if I could...". Something not absolutely essential, but a fun thing to do.

Last year I started digging and puting in a small 2000 gal. pond. I've since discovered there is "stuff" associate with the pond which needs to be stored, preferrably near the pond. Because of aesthetics, the idea of building a large storage cabinet near the pond isn't to appealing. So, I thought, wouldn't it be neat to have a storage box concealed below ground? Okay, I'm therefore thinking of using my backhoe to dig a 3'x3'x6' hole, line it with 4"x8"x16" blocks, and then build another box with a lid(using pressure treated lumber), which could be used for storage and lowered into the hole. The lid would have pebbles glued to it, or a thin layer of grass, or something to conceal it when it's in the ground.

Fine, that's the theory; but how do I go about raising/lowering the storage box? Since the distance to travel is 3', maybe I need to use a pulley/cable system, something like the spring loaded bar used to raise and lower a garage door? Or, if there are such things, telescoping hydraulic actuators? Or, maybe something based on a scissors jack principle?

I've never done anything like this before, and maybe somebody already has, or something similar; so, any ideas, suggestions, "take a look at's", appreciated?

Thanks,
Ray

/ Need help with lifting design #2  
How about some heavy straps attached to the storage box. When you have to lift it out, use the hoe and attach the straps to the bucket. I always look for the least expensive solution.