Need Horse Trailer Opinion

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #1  

jgrreed

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4720
I'm sorry if I offend anyone by posting a horse trailer Q on TBN, but I trust a lot of the opinions and experience on here.

Just bought a used Sundowner 3 horse slant. My truck has a 6" lift, and of course the trailer sits a bit nose high when there's no horses in it. It's 5" higher at the front of the trailer floor than the back, the drop is spread over 18' of floor. From what I can calculate thats a 2.3% grade, or about 2 degree slope. I need to hear your thoughts on 2 things:

1. Is this OK for the horses?

2. Is this OK for the load sharing on the front vs. rear trailer axle and tires?

I'll post a pic when the sun comes up.

Thanks, appreciate your input.

-Jeremy.

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #2  
I'm sorry if I offend anyone by posting a horse trailer Q on TBN, but I trust a lot of the opinions and experience on here.

Just bought a used Sundowner 3 horse slant. My truck has a 6" lift, and of course the trailer sits a bit nose high when there's no horses in it. It's 5" higher at the front of the trailer floor than the back, the drop is spread over 18' of floor. From what I can calculate thats a 2.3% grade, or about 2 degree slope. I need to hear your thoughts on 2 things:

1. Is this OK for the horses?

2. Is this OK for the load sharing on the front vs. rear trailer axle and tires?

I'll post a pic when the sun comes up.

Thanks, appreciate your input.

-Jeremy.

Don't know the answers to your specific questions, but have you considered using a drop hitch to compensate for the lift (or adjusting the gooseneck, if it's a gn-style trailer)?

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #3  
I know nothing about horses but do know a lot about trailers and you need to get it leveled out. If its a GN you may need to lift the trailer to prevent bed damage. If its a bumper pull simply get the proper drop hitch. Having a trailer that is not level will wear the low ends tires quicker and could overload the axle and bearings. It just wears everything quicker.

Chris

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #4  
If its a GN can you put a lift on the rear axles?

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #5  
I've got around sixteen years of two horse slant load experience and you do need to get your rig leveled out. You know how horses will lean on things and being 2-3 degrees out of level could lead to a bent stall divider, a damaged rear tack room wall, etc. If you must haul before you level, be sure that your rubber floor mats are clean of urine and manure (not that that won't happen underway) for the best non-skid condition and don't use any slippery stall bedding.

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion
Sorry guys, should have mentioned that it is a GN. Thanks so much for the quick responses though. As it sits right now the GN hitch is sucked up as far as it'll go. I could shorten that, but that'll lower the bed rail to GN distance.

Sounds like I should probably lift the rear axles, which is a big bullet to bite because the trailer has torsion style axles, not leaf springs, so I can't do an axle flip - have to have a subframe built.

It's worth it though if it means the horses don't get hurt.

Really wish there would've been a 3 or 4" lift option when I bought my truck....or maybe I could've been more patient......or less of a 'little boy' and left it factory....

-Jer.

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion #7  
Yea, GN and 5th wheels just do not work right with lifted trucks. I sold my last GN a few years back and do not miss it one bit.

Chris

/ Need Horse Trailer Opinion
Here it is...

Attachments

• image-4030080020.png
    image-4030080020.png
    670.8 KB · Views: 189
   / Need Horse Trailer Opinion #9  
Here it is...

You're pretty close to your bed rails already. I'd recommend against trying to shorten the GN coupler. Either lift the trailer or lower the truck.