Need hydraulic help on 5085M

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #1  

Bigfoot62

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090M; JD 5085M; JD 5083E; NH TN70A; Ford 2600
Anyone else having hydraulic problems with a 5M series? My tractor is a 2010 model with 421 hours on it.
When I first start up, I have zero hydraulics. It's a PowerReverser transmission, so it won't move either. The only way I can get it started working is to crank it and let it idle a few minutes, then race the engine. Once it starts working, it will keep working as long as it's running. If I kill it for even 30 minutes, it looses its prime and I have to start over. I'm afraid that I may ruin the hydraulic pump if this keeps up.

I called the dealer and spoke with the service manager. I did everything he told me to do: change fluid and filter and check all the hydraulic connections. Same thing.
I'm right in the middle of hay season and I really need this tractor to work.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted this in the JD Owning/Operating forum, but only have one other 5M owner reporting the same problem. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/283098-question-about-hydraulics-5m.html His problem turned out to be the "manifold" that the pump and filter mount to.

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #2  
did you use a jd filter?

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #4  
does you tractor have a screen or strainer in the transmission?

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #5  
I didn't locate a sump screen in JDparts,com.

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #6  
Bigfoot62
Sounds as if you have a suction leak in the trans lube pump.

Attachments

• MP4585_________UN01JAN94.gif
    MP4585_________UN01JAN94.gif
    83.6 KB · Views: 909
   / Need hydraulic help on 5085M
Bigfoot62
Sounds as if you have a suction leak in the trans lube pump.

Jim,
That's what AKfish suggested. That was his problem. (so far, he's the only other 5M owner who's had this problem) He said it was the manifold (part #1) on your diagram.
My service manager just keeps saying that "nobody else has reported any trouble" like mine. AKfish sent me the name and phone number of his service manager. I gave that to my guy, but nothing yet.
What I was hoping for is, if other 5M owners have had similar problems, we might could establish a pattern and JD would pick up the tab for the repair. My tractor is about 7 months out of warranty. AKfish said that they had to change his hydraulic pump too, because the suction leak on the manifold had damaged the pump.
I'm paying over $1000 per month note on this tractor, and I really don't want to pay a big repair bill on top of that.

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #9  
i had a ih tractor act like that and it turned out to be a check valve.suction leak could be.

/ Need hydraulic help on 5085M #10  
Are you sure the tractor is a 2010 model? There was a similar problem for 5M's built before June 19, 2009. Have your dealer check your build date and also have him check solution 83658. If the problem was documented before warranty ran out, you have a good case for having it replaced. There was a problem with some of the early pumps.