Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV.

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #21  
check out the PRC Forum....Several issues with EV and batterry life/range/cost/

Personally I love my 14 570 Midsize Ranger and would not trade it for a EV regardless of price

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #22  
check out the PRC Forum....Several issues with EV and batterry life/range/cost/ Personally I love my 14 570 Midsize Ranger and would not trade it for a EV regardless of price

I agree the gas version has a lot of positives. But our group switch from gas carts to electric 6 years ago and have had a lot more success traversing to and from hunting locations. It's even amazing how much more game we see going to and from stands. During this time we have used beefed up golf carts with bigger motors, tires and rear lockers which have done great for most situations. We do have some very steep hills though that can benefit from 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel disk brakes. After riding a friends 2014 last year I was sold.

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #23  
image-1641302747.jpg

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #24  
The EV is one we just purchased and here is a pic of my golf cart. It's has long range, 12 hp motor and will go like ****. Ride is not nearly as good as ranger and neither are the brakes. Going to sell it this summer though.

By the way most of the problems were related to the early charging system (redesigned in 2012) and the algorithm (charging too fast). If you change the charging rate to setting 11 you will not have issues. Takes about 1-2 hours longer for batteries that have been run way down but keeps batteries from boiling which results in little water loss and increase battery cell life.

Attachments

• image-3006043697.jpg
    image-3006043697.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 211
   / Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #25  
The EV is one we just purchased and here is a pic of my golf cart. It's has long range, 12 hp motor and will go like ****. Ride is not nearly as good as ranger and neither are the brakes. Going to sell it this summer though.

By the way most of the problems were related to the early charging system (redesigned in 2012) and the algorithm (charging too fast). If you change the charging rate to setting 11 you will not have issues. Takes about 1-2 hours longer for batteries that have been run way down but keeps batteries from boiling which results in little water loss and increase battery cell life.

Good to know they have attempted to resolve the charging issues, What is the life time and cost of replacement batteries? Agreed that my gas motor is too loud to sneak in but I have found that entering the woods early solves that.

Rode in one EV before I purchased my 570 and was suprised how it climbed a steep trail with three adults on board.

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #26  
That's the part that sucks. 5-6 years provided batteries are cared for properly. Then $1500-1800 to replace. Some are converting to lithium batteries with 25% more run time, 10 year life, and half the weight. But still expensive and maybe 5-8 years before they are affordable to most. Hopefully by time for me to replace they come down in cost.

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #27  
Actually it all evens out when you consider the EV owner will not pay for: gas, motor oil, oil filters, air filters, and......
The EV is QUIET!!!!!

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #28  
Actually it all evens out when you consider the EV owner will not pay for: gas, motor oil, oil filters, air filters, and......
The EV is QUIET!!!!!

Must be new math, Check with me in 5 yrs to see how much I have spent on fuel,oil,filter vs the EV cost of ownership.... EV has its place for sure but its not for the low cost.

My uses may be different as we only use ours to traverse a steep hill on our lake property an EV would have worked too but I felt the total cost or potential cost wasnt worth the risk

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV.
For me it is worth the extra money, for the convenience in cold weather, of being able to turn the key, push the reverse button and back out of the garage, in less time than it took for the glow plugs to heat on our previous UTV.

In any weather, I sure hated to start the engine to drive a mile round trip to get the mail.

This was the first one, a 20hp gas engine, 25mph.

PC150008.JPG

Second one, a 20hp diesel engine, 25mph.

P4040009.JPG

The best one, a 30hp three phase AC induction motor, 25mph.

P2230019.JPG

/ Need Info, Electric Polaris Ranger UTV. #30  
They haven't made any significant changes in the later models that I have heard of.

There are actually lots of changes for 2015. It's a whole new machine.