Need info on Century/Branson

/ Need info on Century/Branson #1  

Chipperman

Platinum Member
Hello folks: Could someone please tell me why someone would buy a Century/Branson over the other brands like Kioti, Mahindra, Long etc. Any info would be greatly aprecieated. (Other than dealer related)
Thanks
Chipperman

/ Need info on Century/Branson #2  
Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=genbuy&Number=107328&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=all&vc=1>this thread.</A>

/ Need info on Century/Branson #3  
I considered a Century back in June. At least in the 25-30 hp range, I felt Century was the stoutest unit I saw with the greatest lift capacity, most weight, and very solid FEL - IMHO, probably the most tractor you could get for your money. I did notice a few places where the finish didn't look quite as good, but they were minor. I actually may have gone with the Century except they had no financing and Mahindra offered 0% for two years.

IMHO you get better quality with lower prices by staying away from the Big 3. If that is true in the case of Kioti, Mahindra, Long versus the Big 3, then Century/Branson may just be taking that same philosophy a small step further.

The flip side to that is the more obscure the name, the more the "can't get parts" and "who's gonna work on it" and "will they be around in 10 years" stuff comes into play. Bottom line: I was impressed with the Century but you need to stay within your comfort level.

/ Need info on Century/Branson
Ranchman, Thank you I had read that thread. It was mostly about why one should buy a Mahindra. I am researching Century and would like to know their strong points. I understand that American Jawa imports them and I have herd good things about them. (Parts back up and service support). It would be great if some of the Century/Branson owners could join in with some feed back.
Thank You
Chipperman

/ Need info on Century/Branson #5  
Chipperman-

<font color=blue>It was mostly about why one should buy a Mahindra.</font color=blue>

Hmmm..../w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Well, the thread really is about my quest in choosing from Kioti, Branson, & Mahindra and not a "sales pitch" for Mahindra as you seem to believe. Yes, since the thread extended past my purchase, it did seem to “shift” to some “Mahindra-centric” comments, but prior to that, the thread was pretty open and had a lot of comments & opinions (both +’s and -‘s) regarding Branson, Kioti & Mahindra tractors.

After reviewing the thread again, the positive aspects of Bransons that were cited (which seems to apply directly to your question) included: the Yanmar engine, smooth transmission, smooth clutch, tight steering & large deck size. Of course there were negatives too, but that doesn’t really apply to your question of “Why choose Branson.”

Since I don't own a Branson, I can't comment much more than beyond that, other than to say that the Bransons are simply a re-badged Century - same manufacturer (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kukje21.co.kr/english/2products/product-index.htm>Kukje of Korea</A>), just a different distributor.

Maybe some Branson/Century owners will comment more on the "why's" than I was able to.

RanchMan
I did not mean to affend you (or your thread) I did appreciate your response. And yes I am hoping to hear from some Century/Branson owners as well as some Century/Branson dealers. I think it is great you are very happy with your Mahindra.
As for the Yanmar engine. It is a great unit. I was also looking at the Kukje powered tractors.
I understand that Century offers 2 FELs and Branson only one. The Century/Branson unit is lighter duty and does not have a float position where as the Century only unit is heavyer duty has float and a raise and stay level mode (I assume it cost more as well).
I saw a post somewhere that said the Mahindra compacts were made by Kukje aswell. I did not think that was correct. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thank You and Please keep the info/comments coming
Chipperman

/ Need info on Century/Branson #7  
Chipperman -

<font color=blue> saw a post somewhere that said the Mahindra compacts were made by Kukje as well. I did not think that was correct. Can anyone shed some light on this?</font color=blue>

Mahindra actually manufactures tractors in India and South Korea, and since Kukje is a South Korean company, I think this may be where the "crossed signals" occurred.

The South Korean Mahindras are made by <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tym.co.kr/tongyang/html/e_main2.html>Tong Yang Moolsan</A>. (Millinium/Scorpion brands of tractors are also TYM products.) Most of the S. Korean Mahindras (but not all) have Daedong engines, (Daedong, another S.K. company, manufactures Kioti) whereas the other TYM products generally use Kubota engines (same chassis as the Mahindras though.)

Kukje lists Eastern Farm Machinery (Branson) and American Jawa (Century) as the folks who import their products (EFM is in Canada - I suppose <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bransontractor.com/>BransonTractor</A> has something worked out with them - perhaps them being the main distributor while EFM remains the Canadian importer - but that's just speculation).

Of course Yanmar also manufactures their own line of tractors, and their engines can be found in some John Deere tractors too. Branson, in the past, claimed to use engines from both Mitsubishi and Yanmar, however now (as near as I can tell) all their engine model numbers they cite correspond to either Kukje engines (majority) or Yanmar (minority). Century claims to use engines from Kukje & Yanmar as well, which seems to make sense.

Basically what it boils down to is that the whole tractor industry is pretty incestuous when you get down to it. Can't comment on the loader differences between Branson & Century, but hopefully this helps clear up some of the confusion regarding who "makes" what among these brands.

/ Need info on Century/Branson #8  
I was told by a dealer that Bransons have Cummins diesels not Yanmars?????

/ Need info on Century/Branson #9  
jbs -

<font color=blue>I was told by a dealer that Bransons have Cummins diesels not Yanmars?????</font color=blue>

Well, currently all the manufacture's web sites list Kukje engines being used in their tractors (e.g. Kukje, Am Jawa, etc.)

Perhaps the dealer is referencing the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kukje21.co.kr/english/Notice/NoticeView.php?no=11>announcement in March</A> about a strategic alliance between Kukje and Cummins. Since the announcement only came around in March, I'd find it hard to believe an entirely new batch of diesel engines has been designed/tested/produced as of September, much less actually installed in the various tractors (Branson/Century). Can't promise this of course, but just doesn't seem likely to me (along with a lack of evidence - e.g. "Cummins" is not listed on any of the manufactures web sites yet.)

My suspicion is that the "Cummins" (really a joint venture - not sure "who" is really producing those engines - Kukje for Cummins, Cummins for Kukje, Cummins design/Kukje mfg, etc....) diesels wouldn't find their way in to any equipment for a year or so, but that's just speculation on my behalf. Based on the press release, it sounds like the most likely scenario is that Kukje would handle the mfg. part of the “joint venture” where Cummins would handle most of the design aspects, which begs the question again “who” is really “making” the engine? - Kindof similar, but not exactly like, Ford making cars in Mexico - U.S. Design, Mexican production - Is it a "U.S." vehicle or a "Mexican" vehicle? /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Course since Ford owns the Mexican production facility, whereas Cummins and Kukje are separate entities, it isn't exactly a perfect comparison, but you can see my point.

Regardless, it sounds like the dealer you speak of is probably “Jumping the Gun” in regards to claiming the engines in Bransons are “Cummins” (again, all the engine #’s correspond to Kukje (or Yanmar) engines, not to any current Cummins engine #’s.) Of course, just because there is a joint venture, it doesn't mean that the current Kukje engines would be "thrown out" and replaced by the new "Cummins" engines in Branson/Century tractors, although it could certainly happen based on the HP specs (18-60) listed in the press release. (I'm not sure what the plans for these engines really are - e.g. they might be used in other equipment manufactured by Kukje or be for a market other than the U.S.) - Time will tell I suppose.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

RanchMan
I agree with you. Branson dealer is just jumping the gun. I would assume it will play out similar to Cummins B3.3 engines. It is my understanding that through an agreement with Kamatsu, Cummins is marketing some Kamatsu engines (atleast in the USA) under the Cummins name. Currently I do not believe Cummins builds anything under 76hp (B3.9 naturaly asperated). If this is the case than other than Decals changing on the block, it will be the exact same engine. Though from a service stand point it would be a significant asset. Engine parts, service and warrenty would be availible through Cummins dealers. That's my guess.

Can any body tell me about Bransons having Mitsubishi engines in some models? I did not think this was the case. Yet I have seen adds for new tractors stating that. Are these NOS units?

Also can any one tell me if there is a price difference between Branson and Century (using Centurys cheaper loader)

Thanks
Chipperman