Buying Advice Need Opinions

/ Need Opinions #1  

dirtfergy

Tractor
2020 Branson 3620H 35hp
Hello
I have 10 acres of gently sloping land, covered in pine trees and yopan scrub
I need a tractor to pull stumps, and brushhog the scrub so my trees grow better.
I am considering only New Holland tier 3 or Mahindra tier 3 or 4
I had decided on a NH Workmaster 55 hp for 21K with FEL/2WD @ 3770 lbs and shuttle shift until I discovered
that Mahindra had a 4025, 41 hp for 17K with FEL/2WD @ 4389 lbs or a 5525, 55 hp for 22K with FEL/2WD @ 4836 lbs
Both are standard shift, meaning no shuttle shift.
The other Mahindra is a 4530, 44 hp for 25K with FEL/4WD @ 5567 lbs which includes a shuttle shift transmission
I prefer shuttle shift but I also prefer paying less money
So here are my questions
1 Does the extra weight really transfer into better performance for my intended purposes or will the NH do the job well enough?
2 Will the resale value be of any real concern after10 years of this type of service?
3 Would I really be bothered by not having a shuttle shift tranny for this type of work?
4 Does 4WD really make so much difference on my type of terrain? (A JD sales guy said a 4WD 45 hp will pull like a 2WD 60 hp tractor. True or not?)
My budget is 350 month
Let me know what you think and how you came to your decision for your tractor purchase.
Thanks

/ Need Opinions #2  
4 Does 4WD really make so much difference on my type of terrain? (A JD sales guy said a 4WD 45 hp will pull like a 2WD 60 hp tractor. True or not?)

True

Work on any type of sloped land requires 4-WD.

/ Need Opinions #3  
How large are the stumps you want to pull out and how would you go about pulling them?

/ Need Opinions #4  
You say pine/youpan, thus, I expect sandy land.
This means you need all the traction you can get...so, get 4 wheel drive...everybody who has it will not go back
Yes, with 4wd, you get the pulling power you need without extra hp.
You will be doing lots of shifting, forward/reverse, so get the transmission best for that, regardless
Weight is your friend, always, for traction AND for keeping tractor on ground when using FEL with max weight, but you are going to need to hang rear weight for FEL counterbalance, anyway. Thus, worry not about weight of tractor, you can, and will add weight...loaded tires, extra weight on 3ph, etc.

/ Need Opinions
@ TomSeller, the biggest would probably be about 2' diameter. I would cut the tree high so the FEL could have something to push against. Also would dig around base with FEL and either push or pull with FEL.

@ texasjohn, by loaded tires, you mean with water inside or weights attached to tire rims?. Some of my property was used in the past as a rock quarry, lol so no sandy soil here. Just black dirt that the hogs love to root in

@ jeff9366, thanks for the reply.

Looks like the consensus is definitely 4WD with Shuttleshift which will allow me to go down in HP due to better pulling power with 4WD. Weight of tractor secondary due to ability to load tires and 3 point hitch. Any recommendations on least HP for my job? 35, 40, 45? Hopefully this will lower the cost of the tractor or keep it in the same ballpark of pricing mentioned in original post.

/ Need Opinions #6  
When you are ready to push on the trees be aware that a Ratchet Rake attached to your bucket will give you a great deal more purchase on the trees. Also a useful tool for consolidating tree debris.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2kNTv2JD5s

Attachments

• IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 66
   / Need Opinions #7  
I prefer liquid in tires, others like wheel weights (kinda hard to mount/expensive to buy). You need that there for lots of reasons...many threads here discussing why, take a look at them using search function...come back if you need more info.

Where are you...pines usually like sand...a 2 foot diameter tree is BIG...roots into rocks??...going to be a tough push over...for pulling, I MUCH prefer to use LONG chain and the drawbar. FEL is built to push, not HEAVY pull.

I think a 50 to 55ish hp tractor is what you need for your acreage. You may discover that you need a grapple to move brush and debris, so also sufficient hydraulic circuits, front and rear, to do the job. I use a 50 hp tractor, wouldn't want any less for plowing or lifting heavy things with FEL on my 200 acres. Really, no smaller than 50 hp, IMHO.

Let's go shoot those hogs!!

/ Need Opinions #8  
Resale value will be much lower on a 2wd unit. Just not many people looking for them. Also, regarding resale value after 10 years of "this type of service": I would say that pulling stumps, and pushing on trees with the FEL are activities bordering on abuse, especially if not completed with extreme care. If those are your only tasks, maybe hire a dozer or rent a small excavator. Or buy a used backhoe like a case 580. Just some thoughts.

/ Need Opinions #9  
@ TomSeller, the biggest would probably be about 2' diameter. I would cut the tree high so the FEL could have something to push against. Also would dig around base with FEL and either push or pull with FEL.
----------------------------------------------

Don't cut it, You need the weight and leverage to help break the roots loose.

P7110007.JPG

P6230021.JPG

/ Need Opinions #10  
Don't pull with the FEL. They are not made for that. Use the drawbar for pulling, but be sure you've got a long enough and big enough chain to do it safely.